Kazimierz Deyna

I was a kid when Deyna arrived. Remember he made his debut against Ipswich on the day Kenny Clements broke his leg. There'd been a load of hype about the signing - it was when foreign players were first coming here and he was our answer to Ardiles (who originally was going to sign for us, reportedly) and Villa at Spurs. Anyway, we lost his first game, and my biggest memory is of the crowd bursting into huge applause when he first got the ball only for him to pass it straight to an opposing player.

Swales always said that the problem with Deyna was that he came from Communist Poland, where there'd been no nightlife (there really wasn't in the Eastern bloc back then), and developed too much of a liking for teh pubs and clubs in Manchester. I think he was also slightly past his best when we got him (he was around 30, IIRC), and he found the English game a bit physical for his liking. For that reason, games tended to pass him by when we played him in midfield, where he played for Legia and Poland, and his biggest impact for us was as a striker after Big Mal switched his position. Had a fairly decent goalscoring record and one or two of those were crackers.

His biggest problem under Mal, though, was that we were a team in transition - and not a very good team, either. No direction and full of kids and dodgy over-priced signings. I remember my dad, on several occasions, saying that Deyna would be superb in a better team but was wasted in our struggling mess of 1979/80 because he was too quick in thought for the other players, who couldn't read what he was trying to do. In that, my old man compared him to Denis Law in his first spell at City.

ChicagoBlue said:
Played with him in San Diego (ironically, where I am today!) when he was with Sockers. Still silky smooth, even in 1986! To me, he was the Polish Colin Bell. Tall, moved effortlessly, and could do everything in the unhurried manner few players achieve. Time seemed to slow down when he was on the ball, but he could also leg it with the best of them. Excellent control and shot, too.

Thankfully, I got to see him play for City and play with and against him at the San Diego Sockers. Top class player!
blimey mate thats very interesting to know.i believe quite a few world class players went to the states around the late 70's,early 80's.i know a guy who used to play for oldham who went to play over there and played with pele.(or against).on a totally seperate note,San Diego is supposed to have the best weather/climate in the states as its a constant 75ish degrees.sounds a great place to live

I was one of just 2 blues who went to Warsaw to see the testimonial/friendly game against Legia Warsaw, which was part of the deal for signing Deyna.

The game finished 2-2 and Deyna played one half for each team. No tickets available, but Roy Bailey, Michael Robinson and Big Joe Corrigan got us on the team bus and we set on the bench next to Malcolm Allison.

It was some trip.

If Andy Shaw (or anyone else from the London Branch Official Supporters' Club at the time) is still around you'll know who I am.

I was fortunate enough to se him play, he was awesome... but i think at the time the menatlity of even strikers having to be able to defend was just coming in and this took the edge off his game. in and around the box he was lethal.

I remember how he could hit a 50 yard ball to feet effortlessly.He also scored a few goals with some nifty ball control in the area.Unfortunately he couldnt get to grips with the pace of English football and enjoyed our wonderful citys nightlife!!

Legend

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xWaMcO_Ys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1xWaMcO_Ys</a>

Didn't we pay for him in kits and equipment or is that an old wives tale?

I think his team in Poland were the Army's club, weren't they?

Kevcod said:
Didn't we pay for him in kits and equipment or is that an old wives tale?

I think his team in Poland were the Army's club, weren't they?

Yes, you're right, he played for Legia Warsaw, the Polish army team at the time. And according to Peter Swales, we paid for him at least in part by having typewriters and other office equipment sent out there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.