Kazimierz Deyna

I think he often looked less good than he really was due to teammates being a lower standard (than him) at the time, ie he'd make what should have been a brilliant pass but too many of our players weren't on the same wavelength or level to anticipate or reach it, making the pass look poor. He needed to be in a better team

Blimey, that's a bold statement. Not sure many will agree with you though. We got Deyna just before he went to the knackers yard, but he wasn't fit to lace David Silva's boots anytime in his career.
Not sure about the last line of your post tbh...

Wikipedia states that he played as an attacking midfielder in the playmaker role,and was one of the most highly regarded players of his generation, due to his excellent vision.

There will not be many posters on here, I imagine who have any real detailed knowledge of this players career before he joined City

The stats suggest a hugely influential attacking midfield player for club and country before he joined City..

Legal Warsaw 304 games 93 goals.
Poland National team 97 games 41 goals

David Silva played virtually all of his domestic and international football in the presence of some of the greatest players in the world to support him,on the finest pitches and with top quality coaches.

Perhaps Deynas achievements should be looked upon in light of the absence of all those benefits , and take into account the turbulent background of Poland's history ,at the time he was playing in his home country, it's to his credit he managed to impress so many football fans across the globe. When Poland was embraced in political struggle...Deyna provided a source of inspiration and a welcome distraction from the troubles..A true footballing hero in the eyes of his comrades.

I never saw a minute of his time at City ,But all I've ever read about his career before that marks the man out as a true legend of both polish and world football.

Not sure about the last line of your post tbh...

Wikipedia states that he played as an attacking midfielder in the playmaker role,and was one of the most highly regarded players of his generation, due to his excellent vision.

There will not be many posters on here, I imagine who have any real detailed knowledge of this players career before he joined City

The stats suggest a hugely influential attacking midfield player for club and country before he joined City..

Legal Warsaw 304 games 93 goals.
Poland National team 97 games 41 goals

David Silva played virtually all of his domestic and international football in the presence of some of the greatest players in the world to support him,on the finest pitches and with top quality coaches.

Perhaps Deynas achievements should be looked upon in light of the absence of all those benefits , and take into account the turbulent background of Poland's history ,at the time he was playing in his home country, it's to his credit he managed to impress so many football fans across the globe. When Poland was embraced in political struggle...Deyna provided a source of inspiration and a welcome distraction from the troubles..A true footballing hero in the eyes of his comrades.

I never saw a minute of his time at City ,But all I've ever read about his career before that marks the man out as a true legend of both polish and world football.
The key thing to remember is that Polish side in the 70s was a fucking good side, qualifying for the 1974 (at England’s expense) and 1978 World Cups, reaching the semis in the former and the second group stage in the latter, and winning their qualifying group in each tournament.

And this was when only 16 teams qualified.

And Deyna played, and scored in both tournaments.

Along with Italy, West Germany and Holland they were the best European team in that decade and Deyna was at the beating heart of that team.

He was, in his prime, unquestionably a world class player.

The key thing to remember is that Polish side in the 70s was a fucking good side, qualifying for the 1974 (at England’s expense) and 1978 World Cups, reaching the semis in the former and the second group stage in the latter, and winning their qualifying group in each tournament.

And this was when only 16 teams qualified.

And Deyna played, and scored in both tournaments.

Along with Italy, West Germany and Holland they were the best European team in that decade and Deyna was at the beating heart of that team.

He was, in his prime, unquestionably a world class player.
Sorry to nitpick but both the 74 and 78 World Cups had the same format - two group stages with no semi finals.Those were the only two WCs like that. Poland finished third in 74 and fourth in 78 - they were indeed a top team.

And don't forget his winner at Maine rd v Forest, the reignimg European champions at the time, we were a struggling patch work of a team, that result came out of the blue. I was buzzing for weeks after. Denya 1 Forest 0.still got the match report cutting from the Sunday people !
Could put that result up as one of the best we ever achieved in that era still hear us singing there’s only one kazu Deyna loudest song for one player in the Kippax ever except for the kings Boxing Day return …. Same as you was buzzing for weeks after

Sorry to nitpick but both the 74 and 78 World Cups had the same format - two group stages with no semi finals.Those were the only two WCs like that. Poland finished third in 74 and fourth in 78 - they were indeed a top team.
Don’t worry about nitpicking, I’m an expert at it!

I thought that format only applied to the 1978 World Cup? Will check again!

Edit - just checked and you are absolutely correct. Thank you for nitpicking! :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.