Kefalonia

another one not to miss is a trip to the harbor at the capital about 9am (check this locally) when the fishermen come back into port and big leatherback turtles turn up for scraps.
I felt like David Attenborough when I saw these fellas - a proper once in a lifetime sight
It was an hour drive for us, but v close to you OP

Ah Kefalonia.

Whizzing about on a scooter with the wife on the back
Coffee in the morning on the seafront opposite the ferry
The public beach at Lassi (end of the strip, down a steep little road) and the little bar on it.
The White Rocks hotel
Greek salad from a roadside taverna.
Proper greek restaurants (good one at end of seafront past ferry port.
Some great bars in Argostoli near the town hall
Late night gyros on the wobble home.

Love the place.

stonerblue said:
Ah Kefalonia.

The public beach at Lassi (end of the strip, down a steep little road) and the little bar on it.
The White Rocks hotel

Love the place.

Sounds pretty much like my memories of the place too SB.....1985 and 1986.....had to fly from Gatwick as no Manc flights back then.....really chilled and lovely place back then....

Gaudino said:
stonerblue said:
Ah Kefalonia.

The White Rocks hotel

Love the place.

Sounds pretty much like my memories of the place too SB.....1985 and 1986.....had to fly from Gatwick as no Manc flights back then.....really chilled and lovely place back then....

Last time i went was 4 years ago so not much changed since you were there i'd say.
I was also there for the quarter and semis when Greece won the Euros. I ddin't pay for much cos the Greeks loved me City shirt and thet were all buzzing. When they won the semi i ended up on the roof of a cop car going round and round the square. Brilliant times.

Gaudino said:
blue b4 the moon said:
Mrs Moon and me have done 10's of Greek Islands for holidays, most very nice but after discovering Skala four years ago we always make a trip to the Island yearly at the end of the season and stay a little out of town. The 30 min walk is lovely in October but would be evil at this time of year.

Off to Rhodes tomorrow for our first visit if it's half as good as Kefalonia I'll be well chuffed.

Lindos is great....but hit the beaches during the day, as day trippers pack the tiny streets then....St Paul's Bay is best beach for us....

Why would you go to the beach at night?

Pride_In_Battle said:
Gaudino said:
blue b4 the moon said:
Mrs Moon and me have done 10's of Greek Islands for holidays, most very nice but after discovering Skala four years ago we always make a trip to the Island yearly at the end of the season and stay a little out of town. The 30 min walk is lovely in October but would be evil at this time of year.

Off to Rhodes tomorrow for our first visit if it's half as good as Kefalonia I'll be well chuffed.

Lindos is great....but hit the beaches during the day, as day trippers pack the tiny streets then....St Paul's Bay is best beach for us....

Why would you go to the beach at night?

Didn't mention going at night Mr Pedant.....meant as the village itself gets very crowded. But now you mention it, on the small town beach, there are several tavernas open in the evening, and it's lovely down there, so yeah, hit the beach at night too....

Just got back from Kef on Sunday - its honestly one of the nicest places i've ever been to.

Thanks for all the advice on this post! Glad to say we managed to visit, Lixouri, Assos, Myrtos, Fiskardo, Sami, Argostoli & obviously Lassi where we stayed. The underground lake & the caves were brilliant as was the 9am wine tasting at a vineyard in the mountains! I think Assos was the most picturesque place i've ever seen. I suppose we did as much as we could in a week!

Recommend it to anyone..we stayed at the thekla studios in Lassi, very basic but great for me and my girlfriend. We had use of the facilities at the Lorenzo hotel, so the poolside bar was very handy :-). Exceptional beaches, friendly locals, great bars/restaraunts, 32oC everyday - perfect!

andy h said:
stonerblue said:
Ah Kefalonia.

Great voice,
Nice welsh twang,
Lovely rack
Love the lass.

[bigimg]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00430/travel-graphics-200_430747a.jpg[/bigimg]<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 am --<br /><br />
The Blue said:
Just got back from Kef on Sunday - its honestly one of the nicest places i've ever been to.

Thanks for all the advice on this post! Glad to say we managed to visit, Lixouri, Assos, Myrtos, Fiskardo, Sami, Argostoli & obviously Lassi where we stayed. The underground lake & the caves were brilliant as was the 9am wine tasting at a vineyard in the mountains! I think Assos was the most picturesque place i've ever seen. I suppose we did as much as we could in a week!

Recommend it to anyone..we stayed at the thekla studios in Lassi, very basic but great for me and my girlfriend. We had use of the facilities at the Lorenzo hotel, so the poolside bar was very handy :-). Exceptional beaches, friendly locals, great bars/restaraunts, 32oC everyday - perfect!

Did you go to the town beach at Lassi. The one with the little snack bar/bar?
Another good one near there is down a load of steps and the beach bar is right there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.