Kevin and David vs Xavi and Iniesta

Xavi in particular was the beating heart of Barcelona. I remember a poll of managers being asked which player they'd take from Pep's Barca & outside of the obvious in Messi, it was Xavi. He truly was a special talent & with all respect he was a level above almost every player I've seen in my lifetime outside of the obvious Pele, Maradona etc.

David Silva is the closest we have to Xavi & a player I think is one of the most underated ever. If Silva had played for Barca when Pep was in his pomp, I think we'd probably be speaking of him in similar terms to Xavi.

As for KDB, he's a totally different type of talent. He's more direct & dynamic than Xavi or Silva which is a special talent in itself, so it's difficult to compare him to Xavi or Iniesta as KDB plays totally differently.

However, that difference could add a different option to any of those teams, but KDB now has to do this consistently for a few seasons to be mentioned in the same terms as Xavi, Iniesta & Silva imo.

I love David Silva but 2010 was peak Pep/Barcelona and there was simply no minutes for him behind Iniesta & Xavi. If I recall, Valencia even looked to sell to Barcelona but not sure it was ever going to happen due to playing time. Shame, he's definitely one of those players I would've loved to see at Barcelona in his prime. Remarkable the form he is in currently under Pep, love it

KDB is a special player, unlike anyone at Barcelona currently or in recent memory. Not the player to play between the lines like Xavi & Iniesta but his eye & touch for the pass is sublime. I looked to him when Pep was first hired as being the player that he would build the team around and you can see it very clearly. Even last season when people were critical of him, it was obvious it was down to the role he had to play and the lack of good FB width leaving him to play deeper. Once the entire team really clicks, he will be roaming the park like a shark

I love David Silva but 2010 was peak Pep/Barcelona and there was simply no minutes for him behind Iniesta & Xavi. If I recall, Valencia even looked to sell to Barcelona but not sure it was ever going to happen due to playing time. Shame, he's definitely one of those players I would've loved to see at Barcelona in his prime. Remarkable the form he is in currently under Pep, love it

KDB is a special player, unlike anyone at Barcelona currently or in recent memory. Not the player to play between the lines like Xavi & Iniesta but his eye & touch for the pass is sublime. I looked to him when Pep was first hired as being the player that he would build the team around and you can see it very clearly. Even last season when people were critical of him, it was obvious it was down to the role he had to play and the lack of good FB width leaving him to play deeper. Once the entire team really clicks, he will be roaming the park like a shark
In all honesty, I've never seen a player with the same style as KDB. He's so unique.

Bury your heads in shame with this thread

While I agree it's premature to compare them just yet you have to admit there's similarities? KDB does give the ball away a little too much in comparison to Xavi and Iniesta. But then he does try and succeed with more killer balls. Silva is more comparable in my opinion. They are the best central midfield partnership currently in world football I'd argue.

The skills that both allow Silva and De Bruyne to excel are inherently different to Iniesta and Xavi.

Comparisons to the Barcelona side are inaccurate. This City side has similar roots but ultimately plays differently to that side.

That Barcelona side was something else in terms of possession. Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets are a level above even the likes of Toure and Silva.

This City side is more physical, in terms of both pace and power. Also I think this City side is better equipped to hurt teams from deeper positions, particularly with the likes of De Bruyne and Gundogan in the mix.

But Iniesta and in particular Xavi were on another planet

Silva and KdB have done too little so far to deserve such comparison. Dave won a lot with NT, but his influence wasn't very significant. Meet here in 3-4 years.
In terms of pure skill Silva is far behind X&I.
In all honesty, I've never seen a player with the same style as KDB. He's so unique.
In terms of throughball ability - can probably remind of Laudrup, though the latter IMO was even better in that regard.

Last edited:
Hearing some rollocks about wait to see what trophies they win.. A team wins trophies, a club wins trophies, odd occasions maradonna looked to do it single handed.

Bet you could have a long list of shite players that have a cabinet with a CL medal.

Don't get it

Hearing some rollocks about wait to see what trophies they win.. A team wins trophies, a club wins trophies, odd occasions maradonna looked to do it single handed.

Bet you could have a long list of shite players that have a cabinet with a CL medal.

Don't get it
Times have changed, few top clubs form superteams that are supposed to win it all. Maradona played before social nets, huge TV contracts and (more importantly) Bosman revolution have changed the landscape.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.