Kevin and David vs Xavi and Iniesta

Similarities in terms of style of play? Only Silva, not KDB and even David was routinely displaced by both Xavi & Iniesta on the NT level for years as he was more of the scoring midfielder - the player to break that final line to get into the box, something Xavi & Iniesta did very infrequently

Feel like it hasn't been that long but plenty of youtube vids out there of Xavi & Iniesta's partnership in midfield, you'll see just how different Silva & KDB are by comparison. Similar to what Pep had Iniesta & Xavi do however, KDB/Silva are asked to provide the scoring chances rather than make them themselves which takes advantage of their best footballing senses - the space & pass

I meant similar in how all our play runs through the two of them, like how Xavi and Iniesta were central in the build up play of Barca?

I think you're wrong on Silva, well actually not wrong per se. The silva you mention that was displaced by Xavi and Iniesta in the NT isn't the Silva we see now in the city team. With age he's obviously lost that yard of pace and Pep has remodelled him into a central midfielder. I think he's very similar to Iniesta now if I'm honest. For me Xavi was the one always deeper than Iniesta and the main outlet of distribution. Of course that's a simplistic statement - Barca had so many great players who could pass - but what excites me about this City team is just how fluid we are. There's times when KDB is the deeper player and then others when Silva drops back and KDB pushes forward. This interchanging of positions isn't something I saw as often with Xavi and Iniesta, would you agree?

I meant similar in how all our play runs through the two of them, like how Xavi and Iniesta were central in the build up play of Barca

The thing is, Xavi & Iniesta were playing in unison with a synchronicity I've never seen from a pair of midfielders before - it was telepathic, they always knew where the other was. I certainly don't see that with KDB & Silva but it's true that similarly play is channeled through the pair as I mentioned earlier. With Fernandinho cleaning up behind them and the wingers hugging the line they can break towards the box and release the forward or deliver pinpoint balls to the wingers or overlapping FBs. The principle is really textbook Pep/Cruyff/Michels

I think you're wrong on Silva, well actually not wrong per se. The silva you mention that was displaced by Xavi and Iniesta in the NT isn't the Silva we see now in the city team. With age he's obviously lost that yard of pace and Pep has remodelled him into a central midfielder. I think he's very similar to Iniesta now if I'm honest. For me Xavi was the one always deeper that Iniesta and the main outlet of distribution. Of course that's a simplistic statement - Barca had so many great players who could pass - but what excites me about this City team is just how fluid we are. There's times when KDB is the deeper player and then others when Silva drops back and KDB pushes forward. This interchanging of positions isn't something I saw as often with Xavi and Iniesta, would you agree?

David Silva is a treat to watch, I have always admired his game and he remains a special player with few peers

The positioning of Xavi & Iniesta has evolved over the years. Xavi used to play from a deeper position and Iniesta played ahead of him similar to what we see with KDB & Silva but that was also because Ronnie & Deco were playing higher up occupying that space. Under Pep, they stayed high and always in unison which you never see in any team anymore

KDB is super versatile and I like how Pep is using him, Barcelona didn't really have a player like him. Maybe Thiago briefly but we never really saw it fully realized at Barcelona

The thing is, Xavi & Iniesta were playing in unison with a synchronicity I've never seen from a pair of midfielders before - it was telepathic, they always knew where the other was. I certainly don't see that with KDB & Silva but it's true that similarly play is channeled through the pair as I mentioned earlier. With Fernandinho cleaning up behind them and the wingers hugging the line they can break towards the box and release the forward or deliver pinpoint balls to the wingers or overlapping FBs. The principle is really textbook Pep/Cruyff/Michels

David Silva is a treat to watch, I have always admired his game and he remains a special player with few peers

The positioning of Xavi & Iniesta has evolved over the years. Xavi used to play from a deeper position and Iniesta played ahead of him similar to what we see with KDB & Silva but that was also because Ronnie & Deco were playing higher up occupying that space. Under Pep, they stayed high and always in unison which you never see in any team anymore

KDB is super versatile and I like how Pep is using him, Barcelona didn't really have a player like him. Maybe Thiago briefly but we never really saw it fully realized at Barcelona

Yeah I agree with that. I think that's why they were such a deadly partnership, they were so in union. Such a joy to watch!

Pirlo?

Modric & Kroos?

These are fine. Pirlo is superb, Modric has his moments, but for match in and match out, minute by minute consistency at the highest level for the seasons they performed together they were matchless. Just hope that KdB and El Mago can perform in a similar way over the next two or three seasons. It'll be delightful to watch.

Hey @FCBarca what do you think the major differences are in how this City side is set up compared to Pep's Barcelona? Obviously the foundations are the same but I just believe that ultimately there's enough differences to say that each side has a separate identity. It's blatantly obvious where his Barca side were superior to this City one but I feel there are things this City team can do that his Barca or Bayern sides couldn't (as is the case with any good side). I can't put my finger on what it exactly is myself but for one I feel like this City side is quite a bit weaker in retaining possession than his previous teams but maybe a little better at playing directly and at high speed. I imagine myself it comes down to a combination of personnel available, using De Bruyne as the main man and adapting to the PL but seeing as you know a lot about Pep's style you might know better than that/me.

Thanks.

How far behind are the heartbeat of our team behind them. In terms of quality and technique I don't think there is much in it, but xavi and iniesta were the centre of arguably the best club and international side of all time. So I wouldn't say david and Kevin come close yet, but how far off them are they both, the best two players I've seen play in a city shirt anyway and an absolute pleasure to watch them pull the strings every week.
Perhaps controversial and unpopular to say it, but I think Dave has been well below his best for ages.

Yes, his ability to retain possession in tight places is unparalleled. Yes his ability to find space is impressive and he looks effortless on the ball as always.

But for me, his decision making has gone downhill. I don't think he's creating many chances with fabulous through balls like he used to. And his lack of composure in front of goal is as poor as it's ever been. Last night's game illustrates what I mean, with him cocking up some great chances. I wish he'd grow his hair back, since I think this decline has happened since his haircut!

So right now, I think he's well off Xavi - Iniesta level. Hopefully he'll get back to his best.

David - 33 goals in 116 for Spain. The genius that is Iniesta has 12 goals in 121 for Spain.

David has created more chances in the Prem than any player anywhere for the last six years. He's very much on the Xavi and Iniesta level, but he chose City for his career challenge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.