Key Bridge, Baltimore, has collapsed.

There is a clip of it sailing out, lights go out and then it veers right and heads into the column.
Looks like, as some have pointed out in the comments, that the ship lost power. If that was the case then you're not gonna be able to correct its course. Obviously its a short snippet so unclear if the ship was having problems when it left the container port.

There's an engineer on BBC at the moment talking about how progress has been made to help reduce damage to bridges being struck like this since this one was built in the seventies. Some of this can be retro-fitted, so therefore some will get damaged less than others.
I have seen older bridges like this have large concrete guards built in front of support structures to avoid boats hitting them, but I doubt they would make much of a dent in a container ship.

Despite this being from a conspiracy nut, it clearly shows the lights going out before impact. Video is sped up.

Yeah you are right, you see the lights go off, a change in direction, a slowing down, and lights start coning back on but by then it is too late. You also see vans lorries and cars crossing the bridge amongst that.

Yeah you are right, you see the lights go off, a change in direction, a slowing down, and lights start coning back on but by then it is too late. You also see vans lorries and cars crossing the bridge amongst that.
It’s all questions at this stage, but you’d like to think it is just a really unfortunate accident and nothing sinister. If it is just an accident, if only it had happened a minute later.

What the actual fuck??? Jesus how quickly did that collapse? I have no idea how the ship collided with it, that's insane. I've sailed under plenty of bridges when I worked deep sea, that's gross negligence of the highest order.

Can I ask who you worked for ?
Are you still in shipping ?

I’m only going from the video in the first post, but it looks like lights are on the ship until it hits the bridge, then the bridge falling on the ship shuts the lights down.

CNN reporting vehicles fell into the water and they’re searching for up to 20 people. The water is COLD!!!

EDIT: In the video above, there are lights on the ship, but it could be emergency lighting, available via battery power with a main power cut.

Not sure, hard to tell, but it does look like the ship is moving directly towards the support.m, so possibly not under rudder/steering control.
Looks like at 15 seconds into that video the lights go off, you can clearly see the ship suddenly go dark. Hard to tell what the time lapse is on that but the ship then does seem to veer quite sharply towards the bridge at that point.

Major infrastructure in Baltimore. This could seriously impact the local economy.

There's a lot of kinetic energy in a heavy cargo ship, even at low speed. More than enough to destroy a bridge. Hopefully nobody seriously injured or killed, although there are reports of people in the water.

Just waiting for Trump to somehow blame Biden.
Trump will be telling the world how he's a master engineer by noon. Also immigrants...

Can I ask who you worked for ?
Are you still in shipping ?

I worked for loads of different companies deep sea. As those jobs dried up I ended up in Dover on the cross channel ferries. Sealink, Stena line, P&O Stena line then P&O Ferries. I even did a short stint on the hovercraft.

No I took early retirement in 2016.

I have seen older bridges like this have large concrete guards built in front of support structures to avoid boats hitting them, but I doubt they would make much of a dent in a container ship.
I would have guessed that its not about stopping the ship but more redirecting it. So having a v shaped reinforced concrete obstacle which the v shaped bow of the ship collides with to redirect it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.