Key Bridge, Baltimore, has collapsed.

You sound like you have me at a disadvantage with your knowledge
I'm only going by what I can see to be honest, I'm certainly not an expert, so it's mostly commen sense.

Hoever it's a big ship, a quick google shows it extends nearly 40 feet below the waterline, fully loaded, so the channel is likely to be at least 60 feet below the bridge where the ship movements take place.

From the pictures of the remains of the bridge, most of the estuary doesn't look too deep, much of the bridge seems to be resting in fairly shallow water.

To get big ships in and out there will be a deeper channel as I mentioned above (it may not be the biggest ship that go into that port), and tides move a huge amount of water in and out of an estuary, and it's quite a wide one.

Now there are under water "structures" (the bridge damege) which will collect sediment until they can dredge the channel, and they are big structures impeding the flow (not mention the ship until they can move it).

Apparently the ship (and potentially crew) was previously involved in a collision incident in Antwerp in 2016.

surely it’s not that hard to avoid two giant pillars covered in warning lights supporting a giant bridge, unless they let a woman steer it for a bet

surely it’s not that hard to avoid two giant pillars covered in warning lights supporting a giant bridge, unless they let a woman steer it for a bet
The ship lost power twice before hitting the bridge. The pilots who were in charge stood no chance, hence dropping the anchors in a last ditch attempt to slow it down

I saw it on the news at about 7am this morning before I went to work. Just seen it now in "real time".....the one this morning must have been shown in slow motion.
Awful.
Thankfully a Mayday was put out, because that is horrific.

What sort of distance would be required for a ship of that size, laden with that weight, going at whatever speed it was travelling, to change course sufficiently to avoid such a collision? And yes; I realise it's not like steering a Daewoo Matiz. The sheer weight of the vessel would be propelling it forward, making "steering" a very gradual process.

What sort of distance would be required for a ship of that size, laden with that weight, going at whatever speed it was travelling, to change course sufficiently to avoid such a collision? And yes; I realise it's not like steering a Daewoo Matiz. The sheer weight of the vessel would be propelling it forward, making "steering" a very gradual process.
A lot more time than they had after the power loss ;-)

It's difficult to know as most stopping distances assume you can put engines to astern. And tides, etc. Also no-one really considers an inertial stop option.

It was doing 8 knots (I think this was said this morning) - but without power, about 1.5-2 miles nautical miles, I think.

has a ship half the length at 10 knots travelling 2 nautical miles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.