Kids football/grassroots help picking a team for my son!

Jonny_H

My son has recently joined a team. He's 6.

He is by far better than any other player on the team. They've only had friendlies so far, but he's absolutely carrying them.

The team he's at, are a well established club but they are NOT known as one of the elite clubs in Manchester. The problem is, he enjoys it here and has friends on the team, so I'm reluctant to move him on that basis.

Struggling what to do with him, and I don't really understand how the football scene works at that age. For example (and I know I'm getting ahead of myself here) but what are the chances of scouts looking for players in the lower divisions? Surely they will focus on the better teams in the higher divisions, therefore he could easily be missed as such despite his ability, purely because he's just at the 'wrong club/team'

I feel like we could be holding his development back by not moving him to a better club, and/or ruining any potential football career opportunities.

Now I'm not saying he's a world class player, I just know he's better than the level he's playing at and the players around him. Everyone who watches him, even the teams we play against, have commented on how good of a player he is.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but anyone know how scouting system works even at that age. Will they focus on the better teams in the top divisions? will they ignore the 'lesser teams'? is there anything we can do or get him involved in that might open up these opportunities for him?

I just dont want him to be overlooked because he's not at one of the better teams. If moving teams will open up opportunities for him then its something we'll have to do, as we know he's got it and he's getting better and better everytime he plays.

sorry for rambling

He's 6 - just let him have fun with his mates. If he's good enough he'll get picked up by an academy in time
This is where we're at tbh - we just don't know how it works and if the lesser teams get overlooked.

Jesus.

What is an elite grassroots club anyway!!
Let him play with his friends, there’s plenty of time and opportunity to get scouted.

Scouts are everywhere at that age and lots of kids get brought into the various development centres.

In any case, statistically it’s better to be scouted to an academy at 12 than it is at 9, let alone 6.

Give him time to develop at his own pace, emphasis on enjoyment, and if he’s as good as you think, he will find his own level

My advice would be not to move him from his mates. My son left his local team last season as was promised a trial at Burnley, unfortunately that never materialised and he couldn’t go back to his original team as they no longer had any places. I managed to get him in with Stockport County, but he never settled, and a few months ago he left and hasn’t kicked a ball since. He just wants to go back to play for his original team, but they are full.

Thanks for the replies.

We had said we'll keep him here for a season and see how it goes, but we just don't know what is the right thing to do.

I know I made it sound like he's the next Messi but the truth is, I really don't know how good he is. I just know he's shining in this team, and he's miles above his team mates - he could go to a better team and be no where near them. I really don't know.

I think we'll stick with this team for now, but as a collective team I suspect they won't have a great first season. As good as he is, we all know they need to be a great team to do well and its obvious some of the other players just won't cut it even at this low level.

Its so frustrating watching him (and a couple of others to be fair) putting everything into the games and seeing the other players p*ssing about and not even concentrating. But I do appreciate they are only 6 and that'll come eventually.

Hopefully he signs for the blues one day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.