Kids football/grassroots help picking a team for my son!

I can't comment on your specific situation but in general let the boy enjoy himself and don't get ahead of yourself with how good is he, etc.

My daughter plays U11. She's transitioned from fullback to full time GK within the last year. Yes, I think she's very good but she's a kid. Her team is very good and some of the parents are absolute lunatics thinking their 10-11 year old child is "the next big thing." Lunatics to the point where they are causing fractions in the team because they are are trying to coach their girls "from the stands" and one family has gone as far as ringing up the coach to tell him what they think the line up should be and what girls should be dropped from the team altogether.

Watch your son play, enjoy it. Let him enjoy it. As others have said, if he's good enough it will work out. You don't want to get ahead of yourself here and in a few years time have him tell you he's quitting because you've ruined the game for him, it isn't fun anymore.

Last edited:
I can't comment on your specific situation but in general let the boy enjoy himself and don't get ahead of yourself with how good is he, etc.

My daughter plays U11. She's transitioned from fullback to full time GK within the last year. Yes, I think she's very good but she's a kid. Her team is very good and some of the parents are absolute lunatics thinking their 10-11 year old child is "the next big thing." Lunatics to the point where they are causing fractions in the team because they are are trying to coach their girls "from the stands" and one family has gone as far as ringing up the coach to tell him what they think the line up should be and what girls should be dropped from the team altogether.

Watch your son play, enjoy it. Let him enjoy it. Ad others have said, if he's good enough it will work out. You don't want to get ahead of yourself here and in a few years time have him tell you he's quitting because you've ruined the game for him, it isn't fun anymore.
spot on

Watch your son play, enjoy it. Let him enjoy it. Ad others have said, if he's good enough it will work out. You don't want to get ahead of yourself here and in a few years time have him tell you he's quitting because you've ruined the game for him, it isn't fun anymore.
I’m partially involved in coaching his current team so I understand how some of the parents can be. This is also why it’s perhaps more difficult to move teams as I’m also involved.

And no as I say I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. It’s just obvious he’s at a higher level than the rest of the team and I just want to make sure we do the right thing to make sure he gets the best opportunities whilst keeping it fun. I appreciate he’s still very young and a lot can change etc.

And as I said on a prev comment - I’m not saying he’s the next Messi. I can only compare him to the players he plays with, and he’s well ahead of those.

I don’t for one minute expect he’s going to be a professional (as I know how hard it is to make it) but Its more that I want to make sure he gets the best opportunities.

Friend of mine coaches a team that are u12s now. He has done it with that group for years as his kid is in the team and the old coach quit, it was takeover or let it fold. There is just 2 of the dads running it.

He's always on the verge of packing it in and always has a story of the latest arsehole parent who he's had to have words with.

My advice is that you've got way ahead of yourself. All you should be thinking about is how much he enjoys it.

Friend of mine coaches a team that are u12s now. He has done it with that group for years as his kid is in the team and the old coach quit, it was takeover or let it fold. There is just 2 of the dads running it.

He's always on the verge of packing it in and always has a story of the latest arsehole parent who he's had to have words with.

My advice is that you've got way ahead of yourself. All you should be thinking about is how much he enjoys it.
I can appreciate this.

No I think my post has been mistaken.

I just want to make sure I’m not holding him back by perhaps not moving to a better team. I’m not saying “how do I get him scouted or in an academy right now” it’s more “if he’s clearly better than the level he’s playing - am I holding him back by not moving him to a higher level? And am I reducing his opportunities.

I can appreciate this.

No I think my post has been mistaken.

I just want to make sure I’m not holding him back by perhaps not moving to a better team. I’m not saying “how do I get him scouted or in an academy right now” it’s more “if he’s clearly better than the level he’s playing - am I holding him back by not moving him to a higher level? And am I reducing his opportunities.

Out of interest, is he a Q1 baby?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.