Kindle Fire HD

Second Skin said:
The only problem with the Kindle Fire is that it has a locked UI and is very much geared towards consuming Amazon content, if you are ok with that then it does look like a good piece of kit. Alternatively, they are releasing some new Nexus models soon, which will allow a lot more configuration than the Kindle Fire. There will be 32gb nexus 7 and another one with 3g, there is also rumours of a Nexus 10 which will be similar to the Ipad.

Get it rooted and it's a regular Android tablet then, I had the regular Fire from the US and rooting it freed it up nicely

Got the new Fire 32gb but not opened it yet as I'm tying to shift my one month old Touch 3G ( boxed with boxed Amazon case too, both mint) first ...... Keep Mrs Lady happy

Bluemanc100 said:
Second Skin said:
The only problem with the Kindle Fire is that it has a locked UI and is very much geared towards consuming Amazon content, if you are ok with that then it does look like a good piece of kit. Alternatively, they are releasing some new Nexus models soon, which will allow a lot more configuration than the Kindle Fire. There will be 32gb nexus 7 and another one with 3g, there is also rumours of a Nexus 10 which will be similar to the Ipad.

Get it rooted and it's a regular Android tablet then, I had the regular Fire from the US and rooting it freed it up nicely

Got the new Fire 32gb but not opened it yet as I'm tying to shift my one month old Touch 3G ( boxed with boxed Amazon case too, both mint) first ...... Keep Mrs Lady happy

What is rooting ?

Hamann Pineapple said:
Bluemanc100 said:
Second Skin said:

What is rooting ?

Similar to jailbreaking an iphone, it allows you access to the system files so you can install apps to configure the device. It can make your warranty invalid if you do it though.

Bluemanc100 said:
Second Skin said:

Didn't know you could root the kindle, would that allow you change the UI though?

I went for the Nexus 7 after doing some research.£189 in comet, smooth as silk and all round excellent bit of kit. Missus has got an ipad which is good but I find it too big for reading ect, the nexus is suits perfectly... its faster for games too!!

Just bought the Google Nexus 16GB from PC World. Reserve online & collect in store for £169.99. Only played around with it for an hour but like the look of it.

cityboy58 said:
Just bought the Google Nexus 16GB from PC World. Reserve online & collect in store for £169.99. Only played around with it for an hour but like the look of it.
Had to settle for the 8GB one, none of the Curry's/PC World's have any 16GB in stock. Got the 8GB one for the same price, which i'm a bit disappointed at, but better than paying £200+ with someone else for the 16GB one.

Have you had a tinker with it yet?

Pigeonho said:
cityboy58 said:
Had to settle for the 8GB one, none of the Curry's/PC World's have any 16GB in stock. Got the 8GB one for the same price, which i'm a bit disappointed at, but better than paying £200+ with someone else for the 16GB one.

If you can mate take the 8gb back, the 32gb will be coming to shops asap and will be £200. 8gb is just too small when you start loading music, photos and games.

CTID101 said:
Pigeonho said:
cityboy58 said:

If you can mate take the 8gb back, the 32gb will be coming to shops asap and will be £200. 8gb is just too small when you start loading music, photos and games.
It's for my lad who will use it solely for Facebook and the net, he won't use much memory at all. I had looked at the 32gb one but with the other stuff I want to get him it was slightly over budget.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.