Kolarov over Clichy?

Michael Corleone

Swapping Kolo's samples with Wayne Bridges'
Now I've been this guys biggest critic at the start of the season, against superior opposition he looked like he couldn't cope, culminating in a truly disastrous performance against United in the FA cup, salvaged partially by a free kick.

But recently, in the last month, or maybe 2 months. He really has stepped up a gear, and I'm not deluded I know he's no world beater at left back but he is far far far superior at crossing and general attacking play than Clichy. Against Sunderland for example he produced 16 crosses in open play this weekend, only once has a player made more in a Premier League game this season and I know not all of them were great but he is a genuine threat down that left wing whereas Clichy simply isn't.

And I know some will say, well he's a defender, who cares which one is better at attacking?. I wouldn't argue against this, I know Clichys pace and positioning makes him a better defender than Kolarov, in my eyes anyway.

And for this reason I would play Clichy against top 6 opposition. But when we play 'weaker' teams, would It not make sense to put on a player capable of joining in an attack, putting in a cross, or scoring a freekick. When Clichy goes forward, he offers the rest of the team someone to pass to when they're under pressure and can help the attacks this way. But he rarely will put in a decent cross for the strikers.

So I ask you this Bluemoon, Kolarov against weaker teams, does it not make sense?

Gael is a better defender and a much better footballer than Aleks. Yet bizarrely I think Aleks has more of a threat for the opposition when it comes to goal scoring creativity of chances and shots.

Michael Corleone said:
Now I've been this guys biggest critic at the start of the season, against superior opposition he looked like he couldn't cope, culminating in a truly disastrous performance against United in the FA cup, salvaged partially by a free kick.

But recently, in the last month, or maybe 2 months. He really has stepped up a gear, and I'm not deluded I know he's no world beater at left back but he is far far far superior at crossing and general attacking play than Clichy. Against Sunderland for example he produced 16 crosses in open play this weekend, only once has a player made more in a Premier League game this season and I know not all of them were great but he is a genuine threat down that left wing whereas Clichy simply isn't.

And I know some will say, well he's a defender, who cares which one is better at attacking?. I wouldn't argue against this, I know Clichys pace and positioning makes him a better defender than Kolarov, in my eyes anyway.

And for this reason I would play Clichy against top 6 opposition. But when we play 'weaker' teams, would It not make sense to put on a player capable of joining in an attack, putting in a cross, or scoring a freekick. When Clichy goes forward, he offers the rest of the team someone to pass to when they're under pressure and can help the attacks this way. But he rarely will put in a decent cross for the strikers.

So I ask you this Bluemoon, Kolarov against weaker teams, does it not make sense?
If we play Pizzaro, then Kolarov all day. If we don't play Pizzaro, then Clichy.

I dont think either are very good defenders, in that case you may a well whoever gives the biggest threat going forward..

In that case it can only be Kolarov

Kolarov should be played as a wide left midfielder.
Play 3-5-2 if he's in the side, revert to a 4-4-2 with Clichy at full back if we need to tighten the game up.

In the absence of any other decent crossers of the ball (don't mention AJ, my laughter will disturb the neighbours) I'd play Kolarov for at least part of every match now, especially if Balo and Dzeko are playing as they need a decent service from wide areas, particularly as the defence-splitting passes through the middle have dried up recently.

Those who criticise Balotelli and Dzeko should note that all three goals against Sunderland had fuck all to do with our midfield. Dzeko won the pen through his own skill, Balo created his own space to drive in the second and even the third was down to a half cleared cross landing at Kolarov's feet. Not an ounce of midfield creativity visible.

lancs blue said:
In the absence of any other decent crossers of the ball (don't mention AJ, my laughter will disturb the neighbours) I'd play Kolarov for at least part of every match now, especially if Balo and Dzeko are playing as they need a decent service from wide areas, particularly as the defence-splitting passes through the middle have dried up recently.

Those who criticise Balotelli and Dzeko should note that all three goals against Sunderland had fuck all to do with our midfield. Dzeko won the pen through his own skill, Balo created his own space to drive in the second and even the third was down to a half cleared cross landing at Kolarov's feet. Not an ounce of midfield creativity visible.
Incorrect! No wonder the current best player at City gets no love. Even when he does a thing like get a recordable statistic, folks erase it from memory.

Kolarov has been one of our best players since the start of the year, but his defending is still shambolic. Said for a while would love to see him given a go as playing LM, just gives us that extra width and his crossing is generally good. Just a shame our strikers aren't there to finish them off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.