Kompany rejects becoming no 2 to Guardiola

Lets not fall into the same traps as the Rags and whole host of other clubs who give the top job to their past heroes. They invariably fall short, very few legendary managers were big name stars for their club as players. I know there are a few exceptions (I wouldn't count Keegan at Newcastle, maybe Dalglish part 1 at Liverpool but definitely Cruyff at Barca and Ajax).

If Kompany continues to improve for a couple years and then continues his development as a number two for us for at least two more then it is worth considering. Anytime sooner will be an emotional mistake.
Giggs at the rags - only lost once (or was it twice) which isnt a bad record.

Thing is, none of the people mentioned ever seemed like manager material to me (i.e. Dalglish, Giggs). Not that I'm an expert. Vin seemed like a manager even when he was playing. And not just because he's extremely articulate and intelligent. Whether he's tactically savvy, and good at getting it across, is another matter. I'm pretty sure he could get the respect of any dressing room. Extremely successful managers are not often extremely successful players. There's just no necessary match. As a player, Clough was very successful, up to when his career was cut short, so there's no way of knowing. Ferguson had a fairly unremarkable career, did he not? Paisley had a fairly unremarkable career, although it was severely curtailed by the war. There is an argument to be made that Mourinho is the most successful manager of the modern era, all things considered. Yet he had no career of any significance as a player.
Anyway, I'm not worried about the future. City is now a ship that is far bigger than any captain. And it's steady as she goes…

… until we get banned for two years from Europe, that is. ;-)

Last edited:
vinny number two to pep would not work ?? i would think vinny would still have some power in the dressing room to be a coach at city

when your a coach or manager you need the gap between the players. your going having to be hard as nails and not be friends and walking into a club with players you have played with the respect has to go ? you want to be right in there faces and want them training hard and not smiling at you and taking shortcuts ??

vinny will be a great manager in time and at his first club he will learn the gap needed from being a player to coach or manager. its a hard jump and you have to have big balls and strong single minded for 2 hours a day in training and then walk away and leave the players alone

you don't want or need contact with your squad and you can no let players can get in your mind its not a father and son thing you want respect and hurt all at the same time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.