Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather he stays than go's but I wouldn't be rushing to give a multiyear extension to a 34-year-old. If it's a one-year extension then I'm all for it. I thought maybe all this noise was his agent trying to get City to bite.

I found it hard to let go of Yaya, Silva, Kompany, Aguero & Fernandinho, but I accepted they were past their peak, in decline & it was best all round that the club moved on from them.

Walker's different. He's easily got two years at the top left in him. I know he was pissed that Pep said he couldn't play the role from defence into midfield like Stones does, & he was devastated not to start the CL Final, but surely this isn't enough for him to want to move on?

He knows how demanding Pep is, & he's aware of what his skill set is. Facing Vini Jnr or Mbappé, there's only one guy for the job & it's Walker. Kyle knows this because look how desperate we were to patch him up against Real last year.

Other reports are emerging that we're perhaps in talks with Walker over an extension. I hope this is true & comes to fruition, because we could start next season WITHOUT a recognised FB which is crazy!

Why? We've adopted a 3-2-2-3 formation which has worked well, but the Scouser's & Arse have also adopted similar. We keep evolving, because clubs keep evolving their tactics against us.

However, what happens if teams find the key to unlock our current formation? If Walker goes it leaves us with 18 year old Lewis, & not ready yet Gomez as our FB options. Otherwise we're back to squashing square pegs in round holes again using CB's as FB's.

I also can't get out of my mind that when asked about his 3-2-2-3 formation a few weeks ago, Pep said he's adopted it because we lack the attacking full backs who can get up & down the pitch to attack & defend & it's a situation we'll redress in the summer.

I hope we keep Walker & raid Bayern for Alphonso Davies instead, with Cancelo going the other way permanently. That's the only contact I want City to have with the German Rags.

I found it hard to let go of Yaya, Silva, Kompany, Aguero & Fernandinho, but I accepted they were past their peak, in decline & it was best all round that the club moved on from them.

Walker's different. He's easily got two years at the top left in him. I know he was pissed that Pep said he couldn't play the role from defence into midfield like Stones does, & he was devastated not to start the CL Final, but surely this isn't enough for him to want to move on?

He knows how demanding Pep is, & he's aware of what his skill set is. Facing Vini Jnr or Mbappé, there's only one guy for the job & it's Walker. Kyle knows this because look how desperate we were to patch him up against Real last year.

Other reports are emerging that we're perhaps in talks with Walker over an extension. I hope this is true & comes to fruition, because we could start next season WITHOUT a recognised FB which is crazy!

Why? We've adopted a 3-2-2-3 formation which has worked well, but the Scouser's & Arse have also adopted similar. We keep evolving, because clubs keep evolving their tactics against us.

However, what happens if teams find the key to unlock our current formation? If Walker goes it leaves us with 18 year old Lewis, & not ready yet Gomez as our FB options. Otherwise we're back to squashing square pegs in round holes again using CB's as FB's.

I also can't get out of my mind that when asked about his 3-2-2-3 formation a few weeks ago, Pep said he's adopted it because we lack the attacking full backs who can get up & down the pitch to attack & defend & it's a situation we'll redress in the summer.

I hope we keep Walker & raid Bayern for Alphonso Davies instead, with Cancelo going the other way permanently. That's the only contact I want City to have with the German Rags.

We have been following the pattern of phasing out a club legend a summer over the last few (Pep) years - Joe Hart in 2016, Zabba in 2017, Yaya in 2018, Vinnie in 2019, David in 2020, Sergio in 2021 and Fernandinho in 2022 - so in some ways a player of Kyle’s stature leaving wouldn’t be all that surprising.

But in each of those cases, the timing was right - their time at the Club was done, and that was clear for all to see.

Kyle still has so much to offer, and even despite the evolution of our use of full backs gives us a vital option to change the way we play. He’s genuinely unique, and if we lose him, we lose something no-one else in the squad can replace.

I hope these rumours are true, and the club offers him a sensible extension which sees him stay with us for a couple more seasons.

Even at 33, he’s the fastest guy in any room!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.