La liga vs Premier league

If we get through against Aris and then Besiktas or Dinamo Kiev, I hope we don't get Villarreal. They are a quality outfit and keep the ball almost as well as Barcelona.

That said, I have the (mis)fortune to watch Spanish football all the time. My local team, UD Salamanca, are in the Second Division and have just lost 8 games on the trot! So, from being in the top two in November, they are now just one point off the dreaded drop to Segunda B.

I would have to say that the Premier League is stronger overall, but look at Madrid's draws against weaker teams like Levante (newly promoted) and Almería, and their defeat to Osasuna. Barcelona's only defeat this season (apart from the Cup second-leg against Betis) was at home to new boys Hércules.

doomuk said:
The fact that Messi and Ronaldo have scored something like 37 goals a peice so far this season tell us one of two things.

Ronaldo scored 31 in 34 in one season for United, and scored 18 in 33 in the next while being wholly disinterested. Ronaldo and Messi are just incredibly special players.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are probably the two best teams in the world, however I think that from top to bottom the Prem is much stronger than La Liga. This has a lot to do with the physical demands the Prem places on you. Teams like Stoke while not the most cultured footballing team will give you a tough game simply because of their physicality and exertion. On the other hand, I've seen Barcelona using minimal effort against certain La Liga teams while drubbing them 5-0.

Although currently Barcelona and Real are currently best squads in the world, they would struggle in EPL. Yes, they would be on top, but surely not that easy.
Messi would struggle definitively, specially with bad tackles. In LA liga referees are protecting him too much. Someone would break his leg here.
Now, for example:
De Jong vs Messi > Messi breaks his leg
Viera vs Mesii > Viera breaks his leg.... ( and a penalty for Barcelona off course)

glen quagmire said:
I can honestly compare la liga, with the SPL! Barca, real, then a scramble for euro places.

What drugs have you been taking please?

Sevilla
Villareal
Espanyol
Atletico Madrid
Athletic Bilbao
Mallorca

All quality teams!

Man U << Barcelona
Arsenal << Real Madrid
Chelsea >> Sevilla
City >> Villareal
Spurs >> Espanyol
Liverpool >> Atletico Madrid
Everton >> Athletic Bilbao
Aston Villa >> Mallorca

It maybe that the top players will favour sunshine and lower taxes. but if you look at Ronaldo, he was top in premier league and scored a lot of goals,. Look at him in la liga and he's scoring 3,4 a game!

The other factor is the competitive nature of the premier league, we all know that the champions could go to the bottom club and suffer a defeat. That doesn't happen in Spain

There are some decent teams in Spain but they don have a four (five this season ) horse race for the title like we do over here.

La liga seems to have teams that go for it. I cannot remember the last match i watched where both sides were shit scared to lose...?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.