Labour manifesto unveiled

He fell down specifically on the question of how they would fund the re-nationalisation of the water utilities. He tried initially to suggest it would be funded by the corporation tax increases, then claimed that it wasnt his territory and that McDonnell will provide the answer. But he did say that he attended the "Clause 5" meeting which signed off the manifesto. Doesn't that mean that the Clause 5 meeting signed off the commitment to re-nationalise the water utilities without discussing how it would be funded?

I don't understand how any of it can be costed. The cost would be market value and that changes everyday. As an ongoing cause it would also cost money to run these things, they have said nothing on how they will pay for any of that either. What would the cost be of continually employing thousands of new public sector workers? Can this kind of costing be achieved in a month? They just have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

So do the pension funds that hold shares in water companies and National grid get fuckall back if nationalised ? These are pension funds that most working class people are paying into .

I don't understand how any of it can be costed. The cost would be market value and that changes everyday. As an ongoing cause it would also cost money to run these things, they have said nothing on how they will pay for any of that either. What would the cost be of continually employing thousands of new public sector workers? Can this kind of costing be achieved in a month? They just have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.
They have no need to cost it. If they are voted in they can just seize any of the assets. Hugo Chavez style.

"parliament can set the price at which any public ownership method like this will be designated"

I think it might have something to do with the profits these industries generate ( which are calculated AFTER the costs you refer to) being used to pay off the interest on the borrowing.
As interest rates are very low at the moment these profits could be used to pay off the debt as well as the interest.
Try and think more boldly and don't believe everything you read in the Tory media.

Great manifesto and for once the Labour PR machine got the soundbites right.
"Radical and responsible, fully costed, for the many not the few".
And I like the one about it being a radical vision for a better Britain rather than the continuing "management of economic decline"by the Tories.
It's a pity it's too late and no one's listening.To get these messages across you have to get them into the public consciousness over at least a two year period and you have to present yourself as a credible government in waiting which unfortunately Labour has failed to do.
However the manifesto does form a blueprint for a future center left opposition to pick up on. If not then you can bet your life that many of these policies will be pinched by the Tories at some future date.

Get McDonnell to rouse his Marxist hordes, they can just take control on behalf of the 'People.'
That'll stop any more embarrassing funding questions.

I think the point is that these companies make money too, capital cost can be paid back via what is currently private profit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.