Labour manifesto unveiled

You seriously think that JC, Abbott and their idealistic commie cohorts could run a cold tap never mind a country. He can afford to make all these promises and pledges and give HOPE to the down trodden masses because he knows full well he'll never be in a position to implement them. Hell... Might as well vote for me.

That aside, what did you think of the launch this morning and in particular, Corbyn's performance?

Corbyn is strong when he gets the chance to talk about policy which is where his passion lies. He's a great activist politician, just not a great leading one. I've always liked the man and many of his policies, I just think they won't chime with the electorate or are a good idea but not thought through with care. And the Labour Party is in such disunity at the moment that I wouldn't trust them to renationalise the Parliament cleaners, let alone the £66bn water industry. Although if Corbyn did turn it round and win then it would be a seismic shift that nobody could fail to back - it could change British political landscape for generations. I'm just not confident that he can do that without appealing to the aspirational middle classes, and I don't see many aspirational middle class policies there.

There's a problem with his election strategy also. He seems to be visiting mostly echo chambers - Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool; they already are going to vote Labour. What he isn't doing is attacking marginals which can win him seats, which you'd imagine he'd want to be doing. There's a rumour in the Party that he's trying to up his popular vote numbers in order to show that his policies are popular which will give us either a post election Corbyn (doubtful) or a Corbyn ally (possible) as next leader. Energising current Labour voters to turnout at the polls rather than winning Labour any new voters.

Corbyn is strong when he gets the chance to talk about policy which is where his passion lies. He's a great activist politician, just not a great leading one. I've always liked the man and many of his policies, I just think they won't chime with the electorate or are a good idea but not thought through with care. And the Labour Party is in such disunity at the moment that I wouldn't trust them to renationalise the Parliament cleaners, let alone the £66bn water industry. Although if Corbyn did turn it round and win then it would be a seismic shift that nobody could fail to back - it could change British political landscape for generations. I'm just not confident that he can do that without appealing to the aspirational middle classes, and I don't see many aspirational middle class policies there.

There's a problem with his election strategy also. He seems to be visiting mostly echo chambers - Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool; they already are going to vote Labour. What he isn't doing is attacking marginals which can win him seats, which you'd imagine he'd want to be doing. There's a rumour in the Party that he's trying to up his popular vote numbers in order to show that his policies are popular which will give us either a post election Corbyn (doubtful) or a Corbyn ally (possible) as next leader. Energising current Labour voters to turnout at the polls rather than winning Labour any new voters.

Thanks for the reply mate, insightful as ever.

Like I said in my OP i enjoyed his performance today and for once felt some respect for him but its all too little, too late and he is indeed preaching to an already captive audience rather than reaching out.

Disunity is the killer and i can see post election the Blairites splitting from a labour party that will lurch even further to the left with the backing of the Unions setting up their own party in an attempt to gain the middle ground again.

In the meantime the Tories can basically do whatever they want because they are guaranteed power.

Nah, PR machine still staffed by monkeys.

"Radical" should be nowhere near this. Radical says Communist, Che Guervera, Islamic terrorism and California surfers - nothing that inspires confidence in the governability. Students are radical, adults are sensible.

They should have used the word either "transformative change" which is a popular buzz word at the moment and appeals to Mondeo Man or "foundational change" which sounds like something a primary school or hospital might do.

People dont like radical. They like stable. Even the angry ones.
Excuse the wording of this, as am not fully clear on it myself. I agree with you on the choice of the word radical in this context. Though, strangely, one definition of radical is "of or going to the root or origin*" - which might imply truly essential/grounded in that which brings balance. But then again if a state of imbalance (instability) is seen as 'normal,' then that which brings balance (stability) may well be seen as abnormal and/or the 'radical' that is associated with "favoring drastic political, economic, or social reforms*" Is there a case for the idea that Labour's desire for a more balanced society may be laudable but that they are going about it in a way (perhaps too fast, too soon, that unbalances the mind of the electorate?) that makes the party effectively unelectable?

I remember posters on here we won't vote brexit, we did ,Jeremy Corbin,100 to 1 outsider to lead the party he did, now apparently 20 points behind the twats sorry mean Tories according to the latest figures, anyone see a pattern come on LABOUR

Polling cards came this morning all I have to do now is get a paper bag to put over my head and a peg for my nose while voting Tory for the first time ever,

I remember posters on here we won't vote brexit, we did ,Jeremy Corbin,100 to 1 outsider to lead the party he did, now apparently 20 points behind the twats sorry mean Tories according to the latest figures, anyone see a pattern come on LABOUR

Labour will not win the general election but the massacre may not be as high as predicted. The problem for them will be afterwards

Labour will not win the general election but the massacre may not be as high as predicted. The problem for them will be afterwards
Regardless of the result we definitely need a strong oppersition, it will be no good for the country if labour are anialated, I think it will be closer than many think

Regardless of the result we definitely need a strong oppersition, it will be no good for the country if labour are anialated, I think it will be closer than many think

When one tree dies it leaves room for a younger healthier one to take its place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.