Lack of pace on the wings

Looking at how pacy wingers have always caused us trouble in the past, its strange that some say that pace is not that important.

I was a sprinter and coached American football and I’m obsessed with all things speed, which is why I was so dead set against letting Sane walk out the door.

But the issue with having that speed is your entire team needs to have it, and that’s not Pep’s style

Looking at how pacy wingers have always caused us trouble in the past, its strange that some say that pace is not that important.
Pace causes us problems because teams are usually counter attacking us. We’re playing against packed defences, so not so important. Plus, as someone said on the previous page, Kev breaking through the middle and feeding it to Haaland and/or Alvarez is ample.

Christ we lose a pre season game and someone makes a thread. Jack is quick not sterling quick but quick enough, Mahrez’s game is about intelligence not speed. Foden is pretty rapid as well so no I don’t think it’s an issue and also don’t think it’s how we play. But each to their own I suppose

Here we go. 1 loss after 2 pre season games against a team who were 1 point behind last year and have played triple the amount of pre season games. Sterling & Jesus gone, its all falling apart, sack Pep etc etc etc. I'll worry if we are 10 points behind going into the World cup break but not before.

It's my opinion, as a defender what he would least like to face, pace or trickery, a vast majority will say pace.

The problem at the moment is if we have Grealish and Mahrez out wide we become very predictable, Mahrez is a goal threat, but to become a regular in this team Grealish has to create and score more than he has ever done throughout his career.

Again, if pace was that important for Pep, the team would have more pacy players/wingers.

We are talking here about the manager with the best record in terms of preparing his teams to score the most goals in England and Europe.

To score 99 league goals and 150 goals without a world class attacker last season was phenomenal. For their entire history, Man U and Liverpool have never scored 150 goals in all competitions. It's for Pep to decide what he needs in attack. It's not like Haaland isn't very quick and Foden isn't pacy. We have enough pace, at least for Pep.

Last edited:
Give me a wide player with pace any day, so difficult to defend and devastating on the counter.

Exactly..... I have watched City all my life with the likes of the greats on the wings......
Summerbee, Tueart, Barnes, Tommy Hutchison, Paul Simpson, David White, Buster Phillips and Tony Scully.....
Pace is a waste if the cross doesn't find a blue shirt.

Again, if pace was that important for Pep, the team would have more pacy players/wingers.

We are talking here about the manager with the best record in terms of preparing his teams to score the most goals in England and Europe.

To score 99 league goals and 150 goals without a world class attacker last season was to take the piss out of United and Liverpool. For their entire history (!), Man U and Liverpool have never scored 150 goals in all competitions. Never. It's for Pep to decide what he needs in attack. It's not like Haaland isn't very quick and Foden isn't pacy. We have enough pace, at least for Pep.
Sane and Sterling both has devastating pace, Foden is extremely quick, and I am pleased to see so is Alvarez.

As said when Mahrez and Grealish are playing together we look far less dangerous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.