Lack of pace on the wings

Neither Mancini nor Pellegrini played D Silva as an 8. Both are attacking midfielders and prefer to be 10s, and with limited finishing abilities. Just one cost a lot more.
This. Weird how many people forget Silva played the majority of his career out wide, for Valencia, City and Spain. Only around 2014 or 2015 did he start playing regularly as a 10 and not until 2016 until he transitioned to an 8.

We have pace, but the set up stifles it, particularly yesterday. I posted this on another thread, it was aimed at Rico’s deployment in midfield.
———————————-

The frustration yesterday was the team set up. Playing a back 3 with Rico in midfield didn’t work. Rico was receiving lots of the ball, but just off loading it. He is receiving the ball where we need KDB to receive it, the result is KDB is forced wide.

I understand why Pep went for a back 3 as he was right thinking Everton would be reluctant to get forward too often. However, Rico in that position didn’t work. If he’s going to play Rico, play him at Right Back and get him overlapping, he has the pace and strength to do this.

My thoughts however are that Walker and Cancelo should be back in. Against a team such as Everton, whom we know will have a totally negative set up, Cancelo is a must play, due to his attacking ability.

Another frustration was the nonsense with the linesman and his ‘technology’. That lengthy stoppage whilst we were well on top, took the wind out of our sails and gave Everton a breather. How did we manage before refs and linesman were mic’d up? Why can’t they carry on or get the 4th official to take over. Fucking ridiculous.

Once they started to get into the game is when Pep should have utilised his subs; or at least immediately they equalised. We still had 26 mins plus stoppage time to get the winner, instead we just plodded on until the 87th min. Then we looked like we could Nick it, but the late subs meant we ran out of time.

The idea that we replaced speed for more control is highlighted in the clip.

Is it Pep worried too much of the turnover?

It is part of the inverted fullback problem. If the winger (eg Grealish) in this clip run behind and if Ake's ball is intercepted then it means Everton can run directly towards Ake. In current 3-2-5 set up there is only one winger and a side CB defending the channel and it is very vulnerable to counter attack. The goal we conceded was similar. Mahrez position was high. Rodri ball was intercepted and then suddenly Everton counters with only Stones and Ankanji protecting.

Think about the Derby game we played Cancelo and Walker in traditional fullback position. Then we saw suddenly Grealish and Foden both took a lot of risk and charged forward. Because they did not worry too much about the space behind knowing their fullback were supporting them.

Why pep insisted on inverted fullbacks? I dont know really.

Well pep signed these players knowing they aren’t out and out pace merchants but are probably better at holding onto the ball better,for me it’s up to pep the buck stops with him he wanted them so he takes the criticism,saying that I think pep has and his football has changed since coming to England we aren’t as blistering or as stupid as it may sound as attacking with intensity and energy,more concerned at retaining possession at all costs including hamstringing the attack slightly..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.