Lack of pace on the wings

It’s all a bit pointless. Pep doesn’t want pace on the wings. He wants control and the ability to slow the game. This has been coming for a long time. Remember our away win at Brentford when Phil scored the only goal, pep said then, go at them fast and they will come back at you faster. Our tempo has gradually been getting slower and slower by design. If folk want pace on the wings then either Pep needs to totally change direction or go.

Think he's been bothered about losing the CL to Mbappe in 17, Salah in 18, Moussa Dembele in 20, and fucking Kai Havertz in 21 to pace.

He knows our defense isn't pacey so he prefers control vs basketball.

Edit: I should add Son in 19 though it was Llorente's hand that got us.

Last edited:
Nail on head.

No plasticy overreaction like Pep/ Txiki/ Laporte/ Ederson out.. just astute observations sir!

You're not the only one with Bellingham reservations.. I've questioned it since he berated his own teammates in Dortmund mid game. We have built our team on harmony.. but he seems like too strong a personality and could create factions.

And everyone loves Cancelo but he's had so many mental errors this season.. and is deservingly benched.

But mental errors seems to be a theme this season.. we've given up goals way too easily and opposition teams know they can just park the bus and hit us on the counter for 1-2 goals.

How long has it been since we managed 3 clean sheets in a row ffs?

Seems we need to fix our defensive and midfield before thinking about 100 mil pound players!

As for pace we found Rico in our academy. We have Borges and Mebude and Ndala. I know Pep doesn't think Borges is right but how about the other 2? They have be at the very least better than Sterling!
Strangest buy ever Jack Grealish, I like his character but just seemed an odd fit, a player who carried the ball until he gets fouled - max 8 goals in a season...said from day one why him? He was about 26 when we bought him as well! Seemed a PR move to me

Think he's been bothered about losing the CL to Mbappe in 17, Salah in 18, Moussa Dembele in 20, and fucking Kai Havertz in 21 to pace.

He knows our defense isn't pacey so he prefers control vs basketball.
Problem is, the most effective players now are those that have electric pace and power...you can be really pragmatic now, have 8 competent hard working intelligent players who are brave as f**k and challenging aggressively when opposition is within 25 yards from goal THEN have 1 - 2 of these 'electric type players'. France have been successful playing this way for years and its translating to club football. Control keeps you in leagues and you don't lose many - Pep's way. Big games, Cup Finals etc..pace and power all the way

Strangest buy ever Jack Grealish, I like his character but just seemed an odd fit, a player who carried the ball until he gets fouled - max 8 goals in a season...said from day one why him? He was about 26 when we bought him as well! Seemed a PR move to me
He was bought as cover for Bernardo since Bernardo wanted to leave.

What does Bernardo do really well? carry the ball!

Has he ever had 10 goal/ 10 assist season? Nope but he didn't cost 100 mil either.

He was bought as cover for Bernardo since Bernardo wanted to leave.

What does Bernardo do really well? carry the ball!

Has he ever had 10 goal/ 10 assist season? Nope but he didn't cost 100 mil either.
Bernardo has so much more to his game though - hardly like for like...to me Bernado would be great as no 10..right behind Haaland and Foden...he would probably adapt and play like Erickson when he was at his best for Spuds,,or Hazard at Chelsk...JG couldn't lace these two or Bernado's boots

Problem is, the most effective players now are those that have electric pace and power...you can be really pragmatic now, have 8 competent hard working intelligent players who are brave as f**k and challenging aggressively when opposition is within 25 yards from goal THEN have 1 - 2 of these 'electric type players'. France have been successful playing this way for years and its translating to club football. Control keeps you in leagues and you don't lose many - Pep's way. Big games, Cup Finals etc..pace and power all the way
The last few years liverpool had pace and power, we haven’t. Last few years we’ve won 4 leagues liverpool 1. So pace and power all the way? Not really.

The last few years liverpool had pace and power, we haven’t. Last few years we’ve won 4 leagues liverpool 1. So pace and power all the way? Not really.
It is for one off big games like i said..the league is long marathon of controlso that's why Pep is a genius. It might change to France's way in the league in future..

It is for one off big games like i said..the league is long marathon of controlso that's why Pep is a genius. It might change to France's way in the league in future..
Well we want a team built for winning leagues not cups so that’s good. If we win a few cups as well along the way even better.

If you want to play Grealish in the middle, you are either dropping Kev or shifting him to the right wing. Either way that would weaken the team.

Playing both in the centre would take control of the game away and leave us very vulnerable to counter attacks
It worked with KDB and D Silva as first choice 8s in 2017/18. Bernardo too.

Well we want a team built for winning leagues not cups so that’s good. If we win a few cups as well along the way even better.
agreed but i think like all styles, controlled football may become less effective as pragmatic football is easier to coach and implement. Players become fitter so its easier to get back and close teams down who may be more skillful etc..I thought Deschamps used this system well simply because he doesn't have much time to coach a system to players he rarely gets together..but i think club sides will start using this template in leagues

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.