Laporte says goodbye

Crazy to lose such a good player for that amount, if he wanted to stay he should have, good enough for any team, good enough as back up and 20 games a season for us. Best of luck in your new adventure and god bless!
A good player, yes, but it looked like time to move on, to me. For whatever reason, the relationship between Pep and Aymeric seemed to have run its course.

He is not a basque. He doesn't feel himself like that. He becomes from a french family. He does not speak a single word in basque.

Basque and catalan culture in french sides are very reduced. Maybe 2 or 3% of people are and feel the own culture.

Athletic or Real Sociedad are very nationalists clubes.

Athletic resist without buying foreigners. Real Sociedad broke that 32 or 33 years ago, and took A LOT of work for them to make that decision.

In fact, first foreign player they bought was Aldridge, an irish guy, in a political decision. It was like "well, he is not basque, but he is irish, 'a way of being basque' ".

IRA and ETA (terrorist independist basque group) in those years were brothers. There is a great connection between irish, catalan and basque people.

This is Belfast:

eta-ira-k2IF-U501676351575FL-624x385@El%20Correo.jpg

askatasuna-euskadi-mural-como-parte-de-international-murales-en-el-republicano-falls-road-de-belfast-occidental-zona-norte-ahea0y.jpg

catalan-mural-belfast.jpg

640px-Paisos_catalans_belfast.jpg

4190490032_258067fff1_b.jpg

Guys like Laporte are guys who just tolerate basque culture, whom they knew in almost adulthood, through football in Athletic Bilbao.
I guess you missed the wink?

He would have the worth about £18.5m according to the accountants, as the original value just depreciates to zero over the term with a straight line. I thought we would have got back close to what we paid though, at least £50m.
I think his knee problem is an ongoing issue which will continue to limit his playing time.
That coupled with his high wages is probably what stopped other premiership and European teams signing him for big money.
For the Saudi League where money is no object he is another great marquee signing and works for him in securing his family’s financial future.
Great guy and I’m sure he would have liked to stay here longer but I understand why he’s gone there.

As you say mate, bizarre. We sell young lads from the academy for that. How is it that WHam were happy to pay 30 mill for Slabhead but didn't want to offer to buy Laporte for 23.5 mill ? Only one word , bizarre.

Surely Laporte's value on the balance sheet was way more than that.
Theres worse, we gave Benzema for free as a reward for his years of service, and he is the BDO holder. And didn't buy a replacement for him. There is probably truth that Laporte despite not being old is washed up due to wear and tear, similar to Benzema actually. Maybe thats why Madrid didn't get involved even when Militao went down with the ACL.

I wanted him so bad when City got him though, but I knew Madrid is not dealing with Athletic, not even to pay the clause, thats how bad the relationship between the two clubs is. And we just won the CL with Ramos and Varane, who despite me rating worse than Laporte at the time, was still considered a top CB in Europe. So we were never going to shell out that much. We also foolishly decided to invest time and money in a glass man like Vallejo, and we know how that turned out.

If Manchester City wanted Laporte from any other club right now it would be starting at £80million plus add-on
The price we got is daft, £23.8 million ?? I am shocked, let's hope we have a really good sell price around the 50% mark

Go and get me a left-footed international defender who's won 5 Premier League titles and many cups and is still in his prime for £23.8 million
And a top player at that, he had a couple of seasons where he was our best player, no mean feat in our squad

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.