Laptop Running Slow.

Mayor West

Hey my laptop is running slow any ideas how i can speed it up? Ive been through all my programmes i never use and deleted them, i hardly have any itunes (if that even makes a difference to memory)!!

Im a bit of computer idiot so any simple way of explaining what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Godfather said:
Hey my laptop is running slow any ideas how i can speed it up? Ive been through all my programmes i never use and deleted them, i hardly have any itunes (if that even makes a difference to memory)!!

Im a bit of computer idiot so any simple way of explaining what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Two things you can try - do a Disc Clean - that will get rid of temporary files etc.

Then, when you have an hour or so when you don't need to use your Laptop - do a Defrag. It sorts out the files on your hard drive and tidies them up and gets rid of the 'blank' spaces on your hard drive, but you just have to set it off then go away and do something else - especially if you haven't done it for a while - as it takes ages and you can't do anything while you are defragging.

If you don't know where to find these utilities(don't know what operating system you are using) then just click on 'start' and type 'Disc clean' or 'Defagmenter' into the search box and you will get a pop up window with instructions and things to click on so you can carry out these operations.

I am running Vista and both these utilitles can be found if you click :

Start, All Programs, then Accessories, then in accessories at the bottom look for the System Tools folder, click on that and both Disc Cleaner and Disk Defragmenter are there. You can set the defragmenter to work automatically say once a month but for you I'd just click on 'defragment now'.

Ammended to say: It's not always your machine. This board is running bloody slow - probably because there are over 1000 people on at the moment. I've got Shed loads of disc space and 3 Gig of RAM and it's slow for me at the moment.

cheers refmum, ill try that, its not just this site though, i know this site can run slow at times, but its the general laptop thats running slow, cheers.

Start > Run > type msconfig > select the startup tab > deselect anything you don't want to start when you turn your computer on.

That's if it's taking ages to start up.

pee dubya said:
Start > Run > type msconfig > select the startup tab > deselect anything you don't want to start when you turn your computer on.

That's if it's taking ages to start up.

It is yeah, ill try that too, cheers.

possibility of a virus or three....

go to download.com and download malwarebytes.
its a cracking little security prog that the dogs nads in finding malware/adware/spyware that lodges itself in you pc...mainly due to looking in adult areas of the internet.

anyway,download it run a scan..should be quite fast usually between 5-10 mins that will root any wrong doings on that front and its another off the list of possible probs

hammer-1.jpg

Forgot to say - you could try my son's solution. He got so pissed off with his PC that he jumped up and down on the keyboard!! Didn't do the keyboard a lot of good but made him feel better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.