Last Film You Saw

Unforgiven - 8/10

Unforgiven, for those who haven't seen it, is a western starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman. It won numerous Oscar awards in 1992 including Best Picture. An enjoyable watch.

Although Gene Hackman's character, Little Bill, the sheriff of the fictional town, "Big Whiskey" in 1881 Wyoming is detestable - especially for his extremely harsh treatment of those who break the law including the beating to death of Morgan Freeman's character - is Little Bill any less detestable than Clint Eastwood's character Will Munny?

Munny takes on a job to assassinate 2 men accused of slashing a prostitute - one of whom did the slashing and his partner. The partner expresses remorse for the slashing and did not take part in the violence. Yet Munny, guns him down.

Later, in a fit of rage over his the killing of his friend, Ned Logan (played by Freeman), Munny guns down the owner of a bar, and numerous sheriff's deputies.

I suppose it's all part of the plot and fits the story line too.

Indeed the story opens with this on-screen text about Munny's deceased wife (she died of small pox some 3-years before the movie starts):
"She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition."

On reflection - maybe I'll give the film 9/10 :-)
My 3rd favourite Western. Superb film and beautifully shot. Produced & superbly Directed by Clint. Big mention to Richard Harris who played "English" Bob, an old acquaintance and rival of Little Bill, He arrives in town with his biographer W. W. Beauchamp, who naively believes Bob's tall tales.

All 3 actors, Gene Hackman. Clint Eastwood & Richard Harris were perfect for their parts. It won 4 Academy Awards.

I too would score it 9/10

My 3rd favourite Western. Superb film and beautifully shot. Produced & superbly Directed by Clint. Big mention to Richard Harris who played "English" Bob, an old acquaintance and rival of Little Bill, He arrives in town with his biographer W. W. Beauchamp, who naively believes Bob's tall tales.

All 3 actors, Gene Hackman. Clint Eastwood & Richard Harris were perfect for their parts. It won 4 Academy Awards.

I too would score it 9/10
Great film, Morgan Freeman was also excellent, as he usually is.

Godzilla Minuts 1, been waiting ages for this and it didn’t disappoint, pisses all over the other Godzilla/Kong stuff, although I tend to find the Japanese acting a bit ott. The CGI is spot on and they did it at a fraction of the cost of the Hollywood films 7.5/10

Unforgiven - 8/10

Unforgiven, for those who haven't seen it, is a western starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman. It won numerous Oscar awards in 1992 including Best Picture. An enjoyable watch.

Although Gene Hackman's character, Little Bill, the sheriff of the fictional town, "Big Whiskey" in 1881 Wyoming is detestable - especially for his extremely harsh treatment of those who break the law including the beating to death of Morgan Freeman's character - is Little Bill any less detestable than Clint Eastwood's character Will Munny?

Munny takes on a job to assassinate 2 men accused of slashing a prostitute - one of whom did the slashing and his partner. The partner expresses remorse for the slashing and did not take part in the violence. Yet Munny, guns him down.

Later, in a fit of rage over his the killing of his friend, Ned Logan (played by Freeman), Munny guns down the owner of a bar, and numerous sheriff's deputies.

I suppose it's all part of the plot and fits the story line too.

Indeed the story opens with this on-screen text about Munny's deceased wife (she died of small pox some 3-years before the movie starts):
"She was a comely young woman and not without prospects. Therefore it was heartbreaking to her mother that she would enter into marriage with William Munny, a known thief and murderer, a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition."

On reflection - maybe I'll give the film 9/10 :-)

Stone cold classic, I love a western and there ain't many better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.