Last Film You Saw

The Lookalike.

0/10.

Was that shit I almost wish I'd spent the last two hours arguing with that Scottish fella who thinks the Anti Fascists are gonna make his kids wear veils.

must just be me, but if people want things to only go "bang, crash and wallop" then buy Call of Duty.

I still don't see the problem in holding Godzilla back, it's like complaining that in Alien the monster doesn't turn up in the first 5 minutes, kill everyone then and there and spend the rest of the time twiddling its thumbs going "ok, bored now". These people tend to condone the existence of Michael Bay, which is a crime against humanity in itself.

I mean, Godzilla is by no means a great movie, it doesn't quite achieve what it sets out to, but I applaud it for not going *crash, bang, wallop* for 2 hours before miraculously some people manage to survive.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
must just be me, but if people want things to only go "bang, crash and wallop" then buy Call of Duty.

I still don't see the problem in holding Godzilla back, it's like complaining that in Alien the monster doesn't turn up in the first 5 minutes, kill everyone then and there and spend the rest of the time twiddling its thumbs going "ok, bored now". These people tend to condone the existence of Michael Bay, which is a crime against humanity in itself.

I mean, Godzilla is by no means a great movie, it doesn't quite achieve what it sets out to, but I applaud it for not going *crash, bang, wallop* for 2 hours before miraculously some people manage to survive.

True, but Alien was superbly acted, perfectly set, ideally paced and beautifully shot. It's one of the best monster films of all time. Bloke in a suit.

With Jaws, Spiel knew the shark looked crap and indeed held it back to the effect of terrifying suspense. Again, prime quality.

Michael Bay's recent films are shallow schlock based on kids' toys and cartoon characters, to be sold to shallow kids who like explosions and mild peril.

Godzilla obviously was trying to achieve mass appeal by surfacing halfway between these. Flashy effects with an authentic storyline. For me it just tried to do too much. It's fucking Godzilla. He twats monsters, smashes buildings, shoots lasers and saves the planet. THAT's what I'm paying for. Not Aaron Taylor Johnson pulling sappy faces or Bryan Cranston shouting at people or Ken Watanabe looking gormless.

Bigga said:
The current incarnation of "Godzilla" is, in fact, a homage to the Japanese style of the film, which is why you see so little of him, this time around...

That's fair enough, I acknowledge that they've tried to drive the latest film with plot and I get the atomic war allegory being carried over from the original, with a little smattering of Fallout 3. But after a while I just got bored of watching fashionable actors chewing cardboard and waiting to see a big lizard chewing suspension bridges and F-16s.

In the interest of balance, and to show I'm not an utter film pleb, this week I also watched Woody Allen and John Turturro in Fading Gigolo.

A lovely film to look at (not just because Sharon Stone gets all sapphic with the ludicrously gorgeous Sophia Vergara) and one which turns seedy into silly into sweet. The casting of Allen as a pimp and Turturro as a florist turned man-whore is delightfully absurd. 7/10.

Odd Thomas - Wasn't sure what to expect really because it doesn't really sound like my sort of film, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it and may have a look and see what the books are like.

Went to see Dawn of the planet of the Apes tonight, pretty good movie with some properly funny moments in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.