Last manager who City fans really wanted sacked

Pellegrini got away with a fair bit because we knew he was only here for 3 years before Pep came. Even early into his reign.

I’d say Hughes. The draw master.

Pearce for me, the football was fucking rubbish and was probably some of the worst stuff I've seen.

Tactically he was inept and whilst we weren't blessed with riches, he made sure it was awful to watch with very little attacking intent. I honestly hated going to watch us in that spell from New Year to the seasons end - there was very little to get excited about and we scored something like 5 games at home in months. How on earth he got another job after us astounds me.

Hughes might not have been top class, but he brought SWP back home and at least we had some hope with others like Zabba, Kompany and De Jong.Adebayor and Robinho coming in. Pearce offered nothing in my view. He also had some success with Wales and Blackburn so at least I thought he knew what he was doing.

Quite simple really but obviously forgotten by many.

There were 2-3 times under Wardle and Makin, (and also towards the end of the Sven era) when all sorts of rumours were surfacing about City's true financial position.
That's when Hughes (who had got Blackburn literally punching above their weight) seemed a decent proposition.

Yes, he was a despised rag.
Yes, he was a dead man walking from the day of the takeover
Yes, he didn't cover himself in glory after he'd left

I'm not disputing any of that, but let's not try and rewrite history.
In comparison to Pearce, I'd have had anyone to replace him, including Beeny the Horse, let alone Hughes.

We were in a poor state at the time, & Hughes with Blackburn & Fat Sam with Bolton were considered an upgrade on what we had.

Either would've been better than Pearce.

Hughes was basically probably a decent mid table manager.
He bought in amongst others. Barry, Kompany, Zab, DeJong, Lescott and a fair bit of dross his dealings were far from perfect. At times we played some decent football particularly when Ireland was on his game and we had some good matches including thrashing Portsmouth and beating Chelsea. Equally he wasn't really up to managing the better players we were getting. Glad he went but I don't think he was as poor as Pearce, just listen to what Nedum has to say, basically he was pretty clueless for a premier league manager

Been said loads already but Hughes first and foremost. Wanted him gone before we even got to Xmas that first season. Robinho and Ireland gave us some decent moments at least.

Pearce - utterly clueless, it’s a miracle we stayed in the league in 2007. Mpenza was a master stroke.

Pellegrini mentioned a lot too which is a weird one. Remember talking about how we needed a change barely a year after he won us the league. As soon as Chelsea built up a lead that season we went into purgatory until Pep arrived. That 2-2 Arsenal game was an awful experience on the last day. Felt very sorry for MP as the stadium emptied, but at the same time was furious at the limp performance and (seemingly) having thrown CL qualification away.

I'd personally had enough of Pellers in his last season. Those 8 draws in a row we had under Hughes made me ambivalent to him going. I was gutted when we sacked Bobby

I don't think Pearce actually was sacked IIRC but he fucking wanted sacking! Keegan was the right time to part ways as was Royle. Anyone else I was a bit too young to have any opinion.
So was I. Not only a great manager for us, I think he got us, the way he wore our scarf around his neck, absolutely gorgeous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.