League One Thread - 2021/22 | Sunderland promoted

Balls - just noticed that Wednesday were playing at Cheltenham today. I would have gone along to see it if I had noticed in time rather than suffering through the commentary of our game against Palace.

@West Yorks Owl hope you enjoyed the trip if you went to the game - losing the lead in the last minute must have been a choker.

Good to see Ben Knight back get some minutes from the bench for Crewe after an injury.
Couldn't get a ticket m8 as they sold out before they got to my priority points level, watched it on a dodgy stream though.

Rather than give my thoughts on yesterday's game it would probably just be easier to copy and paste anything i've written from mid-september as it's basically the same report with different opposition and scorers.

Where to start, again awful first half where the opposition pressed us and we look terrified anytime a set piece comes into our box.

Cheltenham opened the scoring after we failed to clear and after a bit of ping pong it fell to an unmarked Vassell (according to Wikipedia a distant relative to Darius whatever that means?) to score, as a number 9 thought he had a good game and bullied us a bit.

We had 9 corners in the first half but looked as likely scoring as me going out with a supermodel......or anybody to be honest :)

2nd half we'd made 2 subs by 56 mins which to me says you've set your team up incorrectly, with one of those being Corbeanu from Wolves who we have been crying out to play for weeks, of course he was on left wing instead of right as you can't put a round peg in a round hole.

After having a lot of the ball and applying pressure we equalised in the 65th minute (Dunkley who was my MOM) from a corner, I know what are the chances!!

Moore then brought on Berahino and we had 5 attacking players on the pitch, forget formations at this point as I had no idea, and we took the lead on 82 mins from a free kick that Matty Blair (for the older fans son of ex-Wednesday & Coventry midfielder Andy Blair) headed into his own goal.

We then had a 3 on 1 in our favour to seal the game, and we f**ked it up, enter injury time and everybody shits themselves and Cheltenham equalise from a corner with Blair scoring on 90+1.

Our last 4 games have all been draws and as you know draws kill you, would have rather won 2 lost 2 as we would have had more points. Another game where we concede after 80 mins, at the minute this p*sses me off as much as the result.

As fans we all think we are right and the manager is wrong, but when so many can see our problems and 1 can't is that the case?

We play 3-5-2 at the minute with Moore abandoning his usual 4-2-3-1, the formation that we signed 4 wingers in the summer who now can't get a game as they are not wingbacks!

Also we have a bit of a CB injury crisis so why play 3 at the back who should be CB, surely you play a 2? Our back 3 yesterday was Palmer (RB) Dunkley (CB) Johnson (F**k knows but he's not a defender)

Sunderland at home on Tuesday, a game I'm not looking forward to. Only plus point is McGeady was sent off so will miss it. All Sunderland need to do is pepper our box from set pieces and you'll get goal chances, or press us as we try this ridiculous playing out from the back (badly)

Elsewhere in the league a big defeat for Sunderland at Rotherham 5-1 who are now getting into their stride up and are up to 4th with the Mackems dropping to 5th, Plymouth (1st) & Wigan (2nd) both march as they score plenty of goals. Wycombe (3rd) blew a 3 goal league away at struggling Fleetwood to draw 3-3 otherwise they would be 2nd. Oxford (6th) are into the playoffs with MK Dons just outside in 7th and us 8th.

Wigan, Sunderland, Oxford & MK Dons have all lost more games than us (4 to our 3) but we have drawn the most amount of games (7 along with Cambridge & Gillingham) in the division.

Ipswich similar to us seem to be 1 step forward and 1 step back, and after the amount of players they brought in over the summer will be interesting if Cook will get the bullet, they curently sit 11th in the table which is not where the would expect to be.

Thanks for the update. I understand your frustration but in some ways getting draws rather than losing the winning is a positive thing as long as it is not solely due to overly defensive tactics.

It seems that you have lost a lot of points by letting leads go late on and surely that can be worked on from a coaching side.

Playing out from the back can be nerve wracking and even City, who are probably the best in the country at it doing it, make cock ups occasionally - Laporte yesterday for instance. I think it does make football more exciting and will raise the skill level across the board but not all players can adapt and managers need to be pragmatic about the abilities of their squads. At your level it would probably be ok against side that do not press well but against those that do the more traditional English approach is probably a better option.

Big game for you against Sunderland on Tuesday (will watch if I can find a stream). Many City fans would appreciate some feedback on Callum Doyle who is a centre half on loan at Sunderland from City if he plays. He has only just turned 18 and was getting rave reviews at the start of the season.

Thanks for the update. I understand your frustration but in some ways getting draws rather than losing the winning is a positive thing as long as it is not solely due to overly defensive tactics.

It seems that you have lost a lot of points by letting leads go late on and surely that can be worked on from a coaching side.

Playing out from the back can be nerve wracking and even City, who are probably the best in the country at it doing it, make cock ups occasionally - Laporte yesterday for instance. I think it does make football more exciting and will raise the skill level across the board but not all players can adapt and managers need to be pragmatic about the abilities of their squads. At your level it would probably be ok against side that do not press well but against those that do the more traditional English approach is probably a better option.

Big game for you against Sunderland on Tuesday (will watch if I can find a stream). Many City fans would appreciate some feedback on Callum Doyle who is a centre half on loan at Sunderland from City if he plays. He has only just turned 18 and was getting rave reviews at the start of the season.
I'll let you know how he does, he'll probably be able to play in slippers and a smoking jacket. Can't see him having a lot to do.

Imagine if Wednesday could defend up to injury time ????? I mean how many points have the squandered from 80 mins onwards ??????
The Sunderland result wasn’t a great shock for me Rotherham are doing there yo yo yo act not good enough for the championship but to strong for league 1

just hope the Owls can get themselves in the mix and if they could see games out they would probably be in the mix

Imagine if Wednesday could defend up to injury time ????? I mean how many points have the squandered from 80 mins onwards ??????
The Sunderland result wasn’t a great shock for me Rotherham are doing there yo yo yo act not good enough for the championship but to strong for league 1

just hope the Owls can get themselves in the mix and if they could see games out they would probably be in the mix

Funny you say that m8

A post on our forum said since the 19-20 season (107 League Games) since 85 mins we have scored 12 and conceded 31

But from the 20-21 season (61 games) we have only scored 1 goal and conceced 15.

Not good is it ........... feel for Moore think he’s feeling the brunt of the useless twats that went before him ........... I mean if that twat Bruce could have stayed loyal then it’s probably a different outcome

Not good is it ........... feel for Moore think he’s feeling the brunt of the useless twats that went before him ........... I mean if that twat Bruce could have stayed loyal then it’s probably a different outcome
I agree with Bruce, but then again maybe once he took over he saw what a mess we were in off the pitch and Newcastle calling was more of a blessing than a "I couldn't turn down the chance"

he had chances before and turned them down.

Poll on our forum for Moore in/out was 10% to 90%, think it's been taken down now but in the last few weeks the fan base has turned.

Listened to Sheff Wed v Sunderland on a Sunderland fan watch along because I could not find a stream. Sunderland sounded abject with Doyle well out of form.

Wigan look strong having come back from 2-0 down against Fleetwood. Exciting league!

You couldn't make this shit up!

We finally put in a half decent performance and I miss it :)

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm a Jonah!!!

Due to last minute change in work location I didn't get back in time.

Sounds like 3-0 flattered us and we rode our luck at times, but after the last few games you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

We finally get to see Wolves loanee Theo Corbeanu get a start and he scores and sets one up.

Sunderland will be thinking it's Dejavu with how the season is panning out, long way to go yet though.

Good winds for Ipswich (1-4) at Wycombe!) and Wigan who were 2-0 down at Fleetwood, and Rotherham whilst leading you'd still take a point at Charlton.

Pompey seem to be more hit amd miss than we do after a 1-1 draw at home to Cambridge.

Plymouth at home next in the FAC, 12:15 on a Sunday! ITC's controller must have worked for Sky at some point. Not sure that is a game that is shouting "magic of the cup" and 12:15 on a Sunday Plymouth to Sheffield. You're having a laugh.

You couldn't make this shit up!

We finally put in a half decent performance and I miss it :)

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm a Jonah!!!

Due to last minute change in work location I didn't get back in time.

Sounds like 3-0 flattered us and we rode our luck at times, but after the last few games you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

We finally get to see Wolves loanee Theo Corbeanu get a start and he scores and sets one up.

Sunderland will be thinking it's Dejavu with how the season is panning out, long way to go yet though.

Good winds for Ipswich (1-4) at Wycombe!) and Wigan who were 2-0 down at Fleetwood, and Rotherham whilst leading you'd still take a point at Charlton.

Pompey seem to be more hit amd miss than we do after a 1-1 draw at home to Cambridge.

Plymouth at home next in the FAC, 12:15 on a Sunday! ITC's controller must have worked for Sky at some point. Not sure that is a game that is shouting "magic of the cup" and 12:15 on a Sunday Plymouth to Sheffield. You're having a laugh.
Almost 600 miles round trip and more than five hours travelling each way.

Just what you want on a Sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.