Left back who can defend - best in the world

Question: Besides being premier league proven, why would anyone pick Baines over Ceontrao?

The blokes like 26 already!

Joga Bonito said:
I would argue that in today's game the attacking runs of fullbacks are arguably the most crucial on the pitch, as they have the most time and space than anyone else.

I understand where you are coming from but we have holding midfielders for a reason, if at any time we are presented with a challenging winger to deal with our fullback and midfielder simply need to work together to close down the opposition effectively.

Some would argue Kolarov is not the greatest defender, and that may be the case but I can recall several times this season he has come up with a great block or goal-line save at important moments. Hopefully the team can train well this off-season and learn how we can utilize Kolarov's power to our benefit, instead of what looks like more aimless hard low crosses into the box. I'll take his thunderbolt shot any day of the week though, that could be the difference in a tight match and if we have a player capable of producing magic at the fullback position we should stick with him.

To be honest, I think defending is one of Kolarov's strengths. It is what he does with the ball when he is in possession that is disappointing. Both him<br /><br />-- Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 am --<br /><br />
jjeangi said:
Question: Besides being premier league proven, why would anyone pick Baines over Ceontrao?

The blokes like 26 already!
He's English

Enjoying being a Blue said:
The trend seems to be to have full backs that can attack. Whilst I agree this adds to a team's threat I would prefer to have full backs who can defend. If we could find a left footed Zabaleta then I think this would strengthen our team and help when we take on the more physical teams.

Any ideas as to who may be out there?

Whats wrong with being patient and allowing Kolerov a season to improve? We have invested huge amounts of money in our coaching staff and facility, and therefore we need to improve the players we have.

Remember when Tricky Trev tore Evra a new arse on his debut? I hate to say it but them lot have since turned Evra into arguably the best left back in the league.

Patience blues. Too many people on here are over interested in us just signing players, rather than taking stock, and improving the players we have.

LongsightM13 said:
Surprised to say the least that Aly Cissohko of Lyon hasn't had a mention. Great engine up and down the entire left side, aggressive, good pace, decent delivery and a big lad.
Imagine if Micah was left footed and could actually cross the ball and you are in the right ball park. Only 23 as well.
Would probably cost less than most of the others mentioned as well.
I would really like this guy

what about this guy?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REmf-blrRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REmf-blrRs</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.