Legal Advice - Tenancy

Hi all. I need some advice hopefully someone can help.
Unfortunately my mum and stepfather passed away. In the inheritance I got a house that has a tenant in it. So for past 18 months he has paid the agreed amount to live there. Today I went to collect the rent and he has sadly passed away. The reason I know this though is because his lodger answered the door! A man I had never met and had no idea lived there.
He can't afford the rent on his own. I would like to sell this property but how do I evict a tenant I didnt even know was there?

You should go to a solicitor and pay for the advice.

Where is the fun in that ? - surely better to depend on the random musings of a football forum
Absolutely and if I may offer the learned gentleman a snippet or two of advice.

Efectively you now have a sub tenant as your main tenant has sub let. Perfectly legal for the sub tenant to exercise their right to stay, so just issue a sction 21 which is 2 months notice notice. Assuming you originally let out on an assured shorthold tenancy?

Unfortunately my mum and stepfather passed away. In the inheritance I got a house that has a tenant in it. So for past 18 months he has paid the agreed amount to live there. Today I went to collect the rent and he has sadly passed away. The reason I know this though is because his lodger answered the door! A man I had never met and had no idea lived there.
He can't afford the rent on his own. I would like to sell this property but how do I evict a tenant I didnt even know was there?
Wait for him to go to work, change the locks and chuck all his stuff into the street.

Absolutely and if I may offer the learned gentleman a snippet or two of advice.

Efectively you now have a sub tenant as your main tenant has sub let. Perfectly legal for the sub tenant to exercise their right to stay, so just issue a sction 21 which is 2 months notice notice. Assuming you originally let out on an assured shorthold tenancy?
Thank you exactly the advice I needed will issue tomorrow

I know you didn't like somebody saying speak to a solicitor......but a friend of mine had the same or similar issue, and issued a s21....not having been the original landlord, and not fully aware if everything was as it should have been, despite expecting to be (house was his sisters), and the 'tenant' being 100% aware of his rights and all 'loopholes'....he ended up waiting a lot longer than 2 months, and spending alot of money getting it sorted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.