Leicester (A) - Post-Match Thread

The most basic (if not too basic) way to describe it is by saying xGchain measures how involved you are in attacks that lead to shots over the course of a match. The higher your involvement in the attack and/or the higher the xG of the shot at the end of it, the higher your xGchain is.
It would appear that the days of saying "He had a good un" are over then ;-)

I was at the game. Leicester do what they do very well but overall we were better than them and deserved the win

The back 5 were excellent, yes we got caught a couple of times but the speed with which Leicester broke when they attacked was impressive and just difficult to defend against.

Grealish and Bernardo were at it all game - both superb
Gundo got better as the game progressed

Rodri was OK but almost cost us with a bad mistake

Torres did OK, plenty of good movement

Sterling by contrast was absolutely bobbins - continually lost possession, bad decision making, he's just not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team.

I was at the game. Leicester do what they do very well but overall we were better than them and deserved the win

The back 5 were excellent, yes we got caught a couple of times but the speed with which Leicester broke when they attacked was impressive and just difficult to defend against.

Grealish and Bernardo were at it all game - both superb
Gundo got better as the game progressed

Rodri was OK but almost cost us with a bad mistake

Torres did OK, plenty of good movement

Sterling by contrast was absolutely bobbins - continually lost possession, bad decision making, he's just not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team.
Sterling is a confidence player and he seems to have lost it .Bernardo is on fire Just think we might regret not having a pure goal scorer in the tight games.hope I’m wrong

The most basic (if not too basic) way to describe it is by saying xGchain measures how involved you are in attacks that lead to shots over the course of a match. The higher your involvement in the attack and/or the higher the xG of the shot at the end of it, the higher your xGchain is.

Thanks mate

Encouraged by the fact that we didn't just cave against Leicester after not scoring in the first hour. Since the start of the 19-20 season I've lost count of how many away games we've had where we've crumbled and run out of ideas simply because we've not put our first few chances away. It even happened at Spurs a few weeks ago. It was getting to the point where we basically had to score in the first half if we wanted to stand a chance of coming away with three points.

I know he has his detractors already (ahem), but I think Grealish had a lot to do with how we always kept quietly simmering and ticking over on Saturday. He draws players towards him all the time and he has this great knack of being able to keep the ball protected while progressing forwards with it at his feet. The goal came from him drawing two otherwise unoccupied Leicester plays away from Cancelo, who fired the shot in that landed at Bernardo's feet in the end.

Watch the goal back. Albrighton and Tielemans are supposed to be watching Cancelo, but they both drop five yards to protect the space that they think Grealish is going to attack, behind Castagne. Grealish never makes it obvious that he's about to drop it back to Cancelo - by the time he does pass the ball, Albrighton and Tielemans are far too deep to block the shot. Raheem, much as I love him, and Mahrez, great as I think he's been since January, aren't so sneaky with the ball.

Bernardo obviously man of the match but was also quietly impressed with how well we contained Leicester all over the pitch. We rode our luck a bit with the header against the crossbar, but have a look at their pass map - their most frequent passing sequence was between Soyuncu and Schmeichel. The connection between Vardy and his supporting midfielders is non-existent and even Tielemans can't get the ball to Maddison. Save for a brief period right after half-time, we completely shut them down.

For comparison, look at our pass map. Grealish, Bernardo, Cancelo - they're constantly moving the ball between each other, keeping the ball ticking over, making sure we move the ball frequently and at high speeds. Pep will look at this and will be, in his own words, "so so happy". Everyone is exactly where they're supposed to be and the ball is moving more than the players. That's why we never looked out of ideas and, eventually, why we kept creating chances that eventually won us the game.
Great post. Totally agree with your analysis of Grealish.

Did anyone see that fat bastard dive to catch walkers shirt at the end? He wiped out a young lad and kept the shirt, fucking embarrassing to be honest, I hope he handed it to the young lad later
I’m the ‘fat bastard’, I wasn’t the only one who dived to get it and my son is over the moon with it framed on his wall. Apologies if I wiped anyone out but that wasn’t my memory at all. The lad behind me pushed forward as did everyone in the vicinity.

Encouraged by the fact that we didn't just cave against Leicester after not scoring in the first hour. Since the start of the 19-20 season I've lost count of how many away games we've had where we've crumbled and run out of ideas simply because we've not put our first few chances away. It even happened at Spurs a few weeks ago. It was getting to the point where we basically had to score in the first half if we wanted to stand a chance of coming away with three points.

I know he has his detractors already (ahem), but I think Grealish had a lot to do with how we always kept quietly simmering and ticking over on Saturday. He draws players towards him all the time and he has this great knack of being able to keep the ball protected while progressing forwards with it at his feet. The goal came from him drawing two otherwise unoccupied Leicester plays away from Cancelo, who fired the shot in that landed at Bernardo's feet in the end.

Watch the goal back. Albrighton and Tielemans are supposed to be watching Cancelo, but they both drop five yards to protect the space that they think Grealish is going to attack, behind Castagne. Grealish never makes it obvious that he's about to drop it back to Cancelo - by the time he does pass the ball, Albrighton and Tielemans are far too deep to block the shot. Raheem, much as I love him, and Mahrez, great as I think he's been since January, aren't so sneaky with the ball.

Bernardo obviously man of the match but was also quietly impressed with how well we contained Leicester all over the pitch. We rode our luck a bit with the header against the crossbar, but have a look at their pass map - their most frequent passing sequence was between Soyuncu and Schmeichel. The connection between Vardy and his supporting midfielders is non-existent and even Tielemans can't get the ball to Maddison. Save for a brief period right after half-time, we completely shut them down.

For comparison, look at our pass map. Grealish, Bernardo, Cancelo - they're constantly moving the ball between each other, keeping the ball ticking over, making sure we move the ball frequently and at high speeds. Pep will look at this and will be, in his own words, "so so happy". Everyone is exactly where they're supposed to be and the ball is moving more than the players. That's why we never looked out of ideas and, eventually, why we kept creating chances that eventually won us the game.
Excellent Post.
The ball moves faster than any man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.