Leicester (League Cup) - Post Match Thread.

'City didn't really play a weakened side,a few kids but still a very strong team,Leicester don't have that luxury' - Darren Gough

Fuck me,that bloke is a plank.

He's just jealous or a hater -make your pick- like so many others out there. He's also an idiot: somebody should tell him that his statement applies perfectly for Leicester as well. As others have mentioned, Puel was highly motivated for the result, but he also has to cope with a tough December schedule -that is the reality of the PL. Which is the reason people like Morgan, Maddison, Albrighton etc were rotated, the man needed fresh legs out there. Introducing players such as Chilwell and Iborra, to name a couple, who are also experienced first team choices...

Of course they missed Vardy. But they have invested good money on the player who replaced him last night, if they're having second thoughts about that decision, I'm sorry but that's their problem. And by the way, Kelechi was City's second choice for a SC in Guardiola's first year at the club. I'm sure Mr Gough would agree Leicester's ambitions can hardly match City's, nevertheless Iheanacho was Aguero's only (I repeat: ONLY) alternative that season (that is, before Gaby's arrival). So do fuck off...

About the match: To start with, I was happy that Leroy and Bernando, in particular, were given a well deserved rest. Had they even made the bench last night, it would be disappointing (to express it as lightly as possible) -hope I don't have to explain why. Pep decided to rest also Dinho and Eric, while leaving Ilkay benched. We can consider this match as the 2nd step of a master plan which is being implemented as we speak, a master plan already active since the Everton match. Whatever the man says in press conferences, make no mistake about it: You do need a plan, a good plan, so as to deal as effectively as possible with the reality City are facing: 6 fucking matches in 19 fucking days!

Did Guardiola's rotation mean he was throwing the game? Absolutely not, categorically not! That is why I was angry watching the team's attitude last night. Once again we failed to kill the game. Once again we lost our concentration. Once again we witnessed signs of complacency, perhaps even arrogance. Once again we let opposition grow into the game. Once again we let them believe everything was possible, like equalizing, even winning in the end...

In the process it became worse: The local crowd was pushing the home team forward, you could feel City players were getting more and more uncomfortable in their moves. Gradually losing their confidence and determination, wasting passes, losing all individual battles, actually avoiding individual challenges. Which, as usual, increases opposition's enthusiasm, encourages their players to work even harder, not to mention become even more physical...

I was highlighting similar stuff in a recent post following the Watford match, "...hoping that lesson was learnt for good" (if I have permission to quote myself for which I apologise). I hate to see this attitude becoming a recurring theme, Pep must make sure it stops immediately. Otherwise we will be punished soon -and, as I've said in that post, City cannot afford dropping silly points this season...

Because as the game evolved last night the equalizer seemed pretty much inevitable (and, to be honest, it was a fantastic team effort, the through ball as well as the execution), thank God our boys showed their character in the penalty shoot out. You would expect some leadership from experienced players such as Kyle during the match (his insecurity is hard to explain), still it was the youngsters, Muric, Gaby, Olex, that saved the day for City...

Having said all that, who the fuck gives the right to that asshole of a ref to use his whistle the way he did last night? A rhetorical question, I know. Well that's what I call a recurring theme. Leicester players felt they had the freedom to kick City legs all night, people who still fail to understand this are rather naive. While 2 City players received yellows (the only yellows of the match), I mean it's laughable. Or maybe not? Because, as Mr Gough informs us, City did indeed use "a few kids". As talented as they may be, these kids are bound to have a very difficult time developing under these circumstances. They say "physicality" is the norm in the PL, right? Well what I do know for sure is the interpretation of this term in City's games, we are talking about zero protection. A fact some of these kids may consider (among other stuff of course) before making their next career moves, you know. Under these circumstances, who would be surprised if Brahim's agent, for example, advised his client to look elsewhere? No, it's not like he'll avoid competition playing for Madrid, I'm referring to other type of "advantages" when wearing that shirt. You see, in the Bernabeu it's a sin to foul a Madrid player, actually opponents receive a warning before they even touch you...

Noticed Walker, Sterling and Delph were all having a good laugh about it after the game on the way over to the fans! Thankfully, it didn’t prove crucial!

Great to see the team spirit and pushing Muric to the front of the pack to get the applause. That kind of stuff is invaluable to a young player. Such respect from the old heads is very meaningful, especially for someone who very rarely plays. That lad is going to be a monster. Doubt we will be able to hold onto him, but the transfer fee should be a monster, too!

This 100% absolutely nails it for me. The team spirit we have is what is so special among this group of players and management. Watching Aguero jump on Murics back was brilliant to see, seeing Delph & Walker taking the piss out of Sterling etc. just shows how close they are on and off the field and shows that human side we very rarely as fans get chance to see.

Another semi-final , a chance to see some of our brilliant young kids from our academy , Kun & KDB getting minutes under their belts and to top it all the Rags sack their 3rd manager in 5 years and are imploding before our eyes , not a bad day :)

I didn't for one second doubt that we would win on penalties.

Even up to a couple of years ago I'd have fully expected us to blow it in the shootout. Honestly I'd have put my house on us going through. This is a strange feeling.

Is typical City dead?

What I don't understand is why Leicester and Bournemouth didnt play full strength teams. 2 games to a Wembley final!
Ridiculous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.