Leicester v Man City - VAR (David Coote)

Are you allowed to just put your hands up in case it hits your face?
Just had a look on a refs forum. It seems that the consensus is that they don’t penalise “defensive handballs” as they’re not considered to be deliberate. But it’s not clear cut. Some refs believe that it would be wrong to penalise juniors if they put their hands up to protect their face, but that professional players should instinctively get their hands out of the way.

it’s as clear as mud

Just seen the highlights. Regardless of what the ‘laws’ may be, my common sense view is that that is not a penalty. It bloody well hurts if you get a ball smashed into your face from close range. In fact, it can break your nose. Kev's reaction was one that any normally constituted human being would make. And his arms were very close to his body (face). By the way, I also believe that the shot is going wide, if you look closely. If anything, Kev's arms deflect the ball back on goal, albeit they do slow it down a lot. The penalty call on the Leicester player is the correct one. His arm is far away from his body.
The highlights didn't show the clean-out of Kelechi, though. As I understood it, we were very lucky indeed to escape without a red on Ed for that one. Even the GMR commentators said as much.

Last edited:
Penalty all day long, not even arguable for me. you keep your hands by your side or covering the Crown Jewels in a wall nowhere else, everybody else jumped and kept their arms out of the way Kev stood still and put his arms in the way. you can argue it was instinct but his hands has stopped an attempt at goal. we’d all be utterly outraged on here if we were Leicester today not getting that penalty and then conceding one. Two clear penalties.

Penalty all day long, not even arguable for me. you keep your hands by your side or covering the Crown Jewels in a wall nowhere else, everybody else jumped and kept their arms out of the way Kev stood still and put his arms in the way. you can argue it was instinct but his hands has stopped an attempt at goal. we’d all be utterly outraged on here if we were Leicester today not getting that penalty and then conceding one. Two clear penalties.
Thought we were lucky with the Eddie incident but the Kev one there was a slight deflection so no pen.
Ours was a stonewall.Knew it would be given after watching the replay.

Thought Eddie was fine but only as he touched the ball, a follow through from a keeper is treated differently than an outfielder.

Kev one was exactly the sort we'd not get but like their handball was 100% a pen.

The VAR team should be immediately replaced after that this afternoon as to allow the another game in the same day is simply asking for trouble as they look to make amends.

It might be that the Whistling Wanking Wizards of the Winchelsea Whelk Warehouse thought he couldn't make two horrendous errors in two games so gave him the benefit of the doubt. Much like they gave Adebayor, Mario and Bellamy the benefit of the doubt!

Thought Eddie was fine but only as he touched the ball, a follow through from a keeper is treated differently than an outfielder.

Kev one was exactly the sort we'd not get but like their handball was 100% a pen.

The Ederson/Iheanacho one seems to be generally not given - there was one a couple of weeks back where the keeper pretty much punched someone in the head, and that wasn't given.
In this case, it looked to me as if the followthrough caught Iheanacho in the chest with fists, but they also clashed heads.

Liverpool didn’t need us to drop or share points, therefore De Bruyne incident not given.

Also take into account that Kev was protecting his face, it’s well known that premier league balls can kill you (GPC) and that these balls are not as light as those used in European competition (OGS).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.