Lescott [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
dontshootme wrote:

Speaking as an Everton fan, I don't really see what the fuss is about on both sides.

City have loads of money and can afford any player in the world (it's just a case of convincing them to come). They want Lescott. They bid for Lescott (with a little bit of unsettling the player in terms of the build up since January, but no more than any other club does, including Everton). Everton will only sell if it's for their own good. All seems normal to me.

Some Everton fans want to turn this into a huge stand off. Why? Either City bid enough money that Everton would be better off with the cash rather than the player, he'll go. There's no shame in selling a player. If we sell a player for way over the odds, and buy 3-4 really good players with the cash, and improve the team as a whole, we'll look like a selling club for about 2 days. That'll all be forgotton in the team is better than last year.

If Everton don't get offered that, they won't sell. Remember Lescott performs the function of first choice CB, second choice LB and part time goalscorer. To replace him, we'd need essentially 3 players (and pay their wages too!). It seems like at the moment Everton are putting out feelers for 3 or 4 players, to see exactly what £22m will buy

Some City fans seem to be insulted that Everton won't sell cheaply, or are demanding big money for a player. Why wouldn't they? I mean, put it this way. if Everton sold Lescott for £18m, would your reaction be "That's worrying, Everton will be more of a threat to us this season because they have the money", or would it be "Well that's a good deal, it's made City stronger and Everton weaker"? If it's the second, why would Everton sell?

Yes, City are prolonging negotiations to make the player demand a move and force Everton into a cheaper sale. Yes, Everton are trying to make City look like the bad guys to make them "put up or shut up" with a really big offer. Everybody is doing exactly what football clubs always do in these situations. So what's the big deal?

No big deal. But he has said he wants to come to City. So lets get the deal done !!.

Blue Coop said:
plongo said:
talksh@te 16.59

Lescott requests transfer

Will believe it when it Hits BBC Sport.

They are known for bullshit.

From BBC <a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8183638.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 183638.stm</a>

johnmc said:
Everton are a bigger club than us at the minute and no one can deny that really - lets not run before we can walk

In general I hate "bigger" club debates, but I think you seriously underestimate our standing at the moment. Better club -maybe, maybe not. More successful in recent history - no. But there's enough willing to talk us down without our own fans joining
in.

Blue Coop said:
plongo said:
talksh@te 16.59

Lescott requests transfer

Will believe it when it Hits BBC Sport.

They are known for bullshit.
<a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8183638.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 183638.stm</a>

oops, didnt see the one bu bluefuture.

johnmc wrote:
Everton are a bigger club than us at the minute and no one can deny that really - lets not run before we can walk

In general I hat. "bigger" club debates, but I think you seriously underestimate our standing at the moment. Better club -maybe, maybe not. More successful in recent history - no. But there's enough willing to talk us down without our own fans joining in.

This is exactly the sort of comment from citys fans that gets me going after the Evertonians on here with extreme prejudice.

SkyBlueCanuck said:
Not that they'd admit to this, however, it is clear that they have been feeling very threatened by City's new financial power and this signing would be a turning point where they would always remember the exact point in time when City leapfrogged them in stature.

True enough that's the reason, but I don't think we should bury our heads in the sand over it. Turning down offers that allow us to improve the team just to try to maintain "stature" is daft. There must be a point at which the cash is worth more than the player. We should do whatever is best for Everton in the league as a whole, not just versus City.

We got told that when we sold Rooney that it would kill our reputation forever. Jeffers too actually. Oh, and Gavin McCann. Finishing high in the league has a way of totally overwriting transfer history. If Everton finish fifth or higher without Lescott, nobody will remember the transfer at all. If Everton finish 11th without him, it'll be no different than finishing 11th with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.