Let’s pick at the carcasses

Watch our numerous defeats this season and it becomes painfully evident how little pace there is in the centre of defence and centre of the park, once we give possession away. Our fullbacks are high and wide so out the game, Rodri and Gundogan are lovely in possession but struggle to chase back, and the current centre backs invariably get flat footed when stood up to runners. If Koulibaly is signed, Fernandinho should play considerably less, and we automatically have more pace, but he cannot play every game, and we still need more energy in front of him and Laporte. Luiz gives us that option and means he can bed in for a season before Fernandinho leaves. With the 5 sub rule staying, I could see him becoming the man to turn to at 60 mins to close games out.

Watch our numerous defeats this season and it becomes painfully evident how little pace there is in the centre of defence and centre of the park, once we give possession away. Our fullbacks are high and wide so out the game, Rodri and Gundogan are lovely in possession but struggle to chase back, and the current centre backs invariably get flat footed when stood up to runners. If Koulibaly is signed, Fernandinho should play considerably less, and we automatically have more pace, but he cannot play every game, and we still need more energy in front of him and Laporte. Luiz gives us that option and means he can bed in for a season before Fernandinho leaves. With the 5 sub rule staying, I could see him becoming the man to turn to at 60 mins to close games out.

I have been saying this for quite a while now, from striker to goalkeeper, the central corridor as i put it , who has the most pace? answer Edison, it is known and is being targeted, the yellow card for a technical foul is regularly used, but my choice for a remedy would be Camavinga who is faster and better on the ball than Luiz, and Zakiria would be my second

I have been saying this for quite a while now, from striker to goalkeeper, the central corridor as i put it , who has the most pace? answer Edison, it is known and is being targeted, the yellow card for a technical foul is regularly used, but my choice for a remedy would be Camavinga who is faster and better on the ball than Luiz, and Zakiria would be my second

If the club signs Koulibaly, then he and Laporte will be able to hold a higher line with greater confidence. However, when Rodri and Gundogan get sucked deeper into the opposition's half of the park- even 5-10 yards further forward from the defenders- and we lose possession, then it's going to be difficult for the central pairing. Your preferences are highly talented, but Camavinga is 4 years behind Luiz in terms of physical development, and Zakiria would presumably call for more of an outlay than Luiz, which given how much we might need to spend elsewhere reduces that likelihood. Luiz also has the benefit of knowing the system already and has the experience of having played in the league, so it's not going to take time to adjust. He might not be the best of the three players, but for what we currently need and have, he is arguably a more attractive proposition.

If the club signs Koulibaly, then he and Laporte will be able to hold a higher line with greater confidence. However, when Rodri and Gundogan get sucked deeper into the opposition's half of the park- even 5-10 yards further forward from the defenders- and we lose possession, then it's going to be difficult for the central pairing. Your preferences are highly talented, but Camavinga is 4 years behind Luiz in terms of physical development, and Zakiria would presumably call for more of an outlay than Luiz, which given how much we might need to spend elsewhere reduces that likelihood. Luiz also has the benefit of knowing the system already and has the experience of having played in the league, so it's not going to take time to adjust. He might not be the best of the three players, but for what we currently need and have, he is arguably a more attractive proposition.

Obviously i am going to disagree`He might not be the best of the three players, but for what we currently need and have, he is arguably a more attractive proposition`. what we have is no Koulibaly we do have Fernandinho,Gundogan and Rodri all good quality with no pace, both Camavinga and Zakira have pace and are for superior as box to box players than Douglas Luiz, what we need is pace where it is lacking , what we do not want is a player that is only better than Zinchenko because he has more experience of playing there

Obviously i am going to disagree`He might not be the best of the three players, but for what we currently need and have, he is arguably a more attractive proposition`. what we have is no Koulibaly we do have Fernandinho,Gundogan and Rodri all good quality with no pace, both Camavinga and Zakira have pace and are for superior as box to box players than Douglas Luiz, what we need is pace where it is lacking , what we do not want is a player that is only better than Zinchenko because he has more experience of playing there

I did premise what I said with the condition of Koulibaly. ;-)

I don’t disagree with what you say, but last year I really thought we’d go for Ndombele, because we were lacking then what we lack now: legs in the middle that could get from one box to the other. Instead, we went for Rodri. Not by any stretch of the imagination a box-to-box player, but someone who could comfortably fit into the Guardiola system. If we didn’t go for Ndombele last year, I just don’t see us going for similar types of players this year. Do you really?

For what it’s worth, not much!, I’d actually prefer us to be more swashbuckling and open the park up, but I just cannot see that happening. That’s why I see Luiz as the more likely option. He doesn’t need to shuttle up and down the 79 yards, he simply has to sit in front of the two central defenders and act as the fulcrum. He demonstrated that he was more than capable of doing so in the pre-seasons and strikes me as someone who just intuitively gets the system.

I can see the Dippers shopping in the relegation aisle this year with their ownership supposedly not wanting to make high priced signings. The player they buy will probably do half decent and the media will then proceed to suck the Dippers off for the next 2-3 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.