Let's consolidate English and American

buckshot

This will end a lot of confusion going forward and we will do it fair. Here's how it will work: You come up with something that you'd be willing to switch and then something that you want us to switch. We can debate a little but there shouldn't be a need because we're going to be mature and not take advantage of the system. I'll go first:

From now on we Americans will say "schedule" w/o the hard "K" sound.

In return you Brits will heretofore refer to the fruit that is used to make ketchup as "tomatoes" with the "a" being a long "a".

Another one, Americans will call flashlights "torches" (I always thought torch sounded better than flashlight anyway)

But you'll have to agree to casually refer to "pounds" as "bucks". Bucks sounds cooler and it is actually something. If you want to fight I think we can all agree on "clams" since it's cool to sound like a gangster from the 1930s.

My metal medal show my mettle, so don't meddle with me!

Shall we drop the 'H' from herbs too, to sound more olde worlde?

As I now have to give a pre-sentation at work, do my kids now have to open their pre-sents on Christmas day?

Honestly, I have more trouble understanding some uk based accents now than I do American. I'm not advocating for a return to the Queen's English only, but even on the telly now they have such a range of accents just introducing programmes that subs are a must. But that's diversity and inclusion for you, if the person on the telly doesn't have the skills required to communicate effectively it's not their fault, and it's on us to be supportive and do the learning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.