Let's consolidate English and American

I doubt there is any such thing as American or British English; there are many different Englishes and that’s something to be cherished and preserved. So many things in American English are things that have persisted there that have fallen out of fashion in England. As for some accents:

Sounds weird but still definitely American. Things like “where they at?”, “I can be most anywhere” or the long drawl on the last word with the almost Australianesque inflection , “and write on thaaaat!”.

Plus the ridiculous clothing of course.

Isn’t it true that the majority of American spelling of words are in fact the original English spelling? Or at least the spelling at the time. And it’s us who have since changed them, while the Yanks have stuck with how it was back then?
It was Noah Webster who tried to standardise the spellings of English words in America in the late 18th century that mainly caused the split by removing unnecessary letters such as ‘u’ in colour and flavour etc. The spellings we use are a throwback to French and other languages that influenced ours from medieval days. Or should that be mediaeval?

He wrote the first official dictionary that was used in schools over there. His name lives on in the Merriam-Webster publishing company.

Been in Yanksville 12 years now and still refuse to give up the Queens / King's English.

On all my reports or emails at work I refuse to remove the U in words such as in colour and keep the S there instead of a Z such as organisation. And it's Zed not fucking Zee.

English is a language, can't you read......

I hate to break this to you but the ‘z’ was the original English and is still the preferred spelling in the Oxford dictionary.

The change to ‘s’ evolved afterwards in British English.

It’s something about words being derived from Greek, I remember learning about it in school.

I hate to break this to you but the ‘z’ was the original English and is still the preferred spelling in the Oxford dictionary.

The change to ‘s’ evolved afterwards in British English.

It’s something about words being derived from Greek, I remember learning about it in school.
Lots of stuff popularly believed to be American is, in fact, the original British English. It’s us who have changed. See ‘Color‘ etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.