Life comes at you fast

Walking has done me the world of good both physically and mentally.

I bought a pair of comfortable trainers which have become my walking ones and the Health app on my iPhone has allowed me to monitor how far I’ve walked each day.

I choose routes and landmarks to get to before turning round heading home.

The gym is a great place to turn to when it all gets a bit much. Gives you an outlet to release frustrations and exercise releases endorphins to improve your mood temporarily. Good luck mate, that's one hell of a fucking week that would test anyone's constitution. Its normal to be feeling down after that, the fact you are on here already asking for help and advice tells me you are going about it the right way and you will be fine. Hard times pass, they always do.
Was just about to say similar in keep active. I recently found myself in a little rut (working away from home 5 days a week in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do in off time) and simply went out and walked 4 miles a day in the morning (worked 3 to 11pm) which I really enjoyed. I cut down on the booze and lost a bit of weight too which was also a bonus. It kept my mimd and body in check and have since left the job.

Thanks for the responses, it has helped me stabilise things and not dwell on the thoughts too much.

I spoke with my family some more and just allowing myself to feel those emotions helped. I thankfully do have a couple of friends i can talk to however they arnt always available so having somewhere else to get support has been very helpful, just reading the responses helps clear the thoughts a little and give some perspective. I hope now time will manage to heal things.

I am going to start doing some walking and workout each day as a start and also consider getting proper help to allow me to deal with my post-covid social isolation to maybe allow me to find new job / friends / relationship going forward as currently I am basically starting from scratch again, as i let it all slip away during my isolation and have lost my social confidence entirely.

I feel i have avoided things so long my life has become stagnant and the previous job/relationship just was papering over things allowing me to avoid my problems.

Thanks again and i hope the others who mentioned they had went through similar managed to come to term / reach a better place themselves.

Within the last 3 days:
A parent diagnosed with cancer, a long term relationship ended, losing my job for reasons outside my control and a family member commiting suicide.

I feel terrible and the constant stream of negativity in the news doesnt exactly help.

Anyone else gone through similar circumstances and have tips on how to overcome negative emotions and move forward, for someone who struggles socially a bit?
Wishing you all the best and can only echo some of the wonderful advice given. I’ve been through dark times which i thought at the time would never end and the old adage “this too shall pass” has proven personally to be both true and of comfort.

Thanks for the responses, it has helped me stabilise things and not dwell on the thoughts too much.

I spoke with my family some more and just allowing myself to feel those emotions helped. I thankfully do have a couple of friends i can talk to however they arnt always available so having somewhere else to get support has been very helpful, just reading the responses helps clear the thoughts a little and give some perspective. I hope now time will manage to heal things.

I am going to start doing some walking and workout each day as a start and also consider getting proper help to allow me to deal with my post-covid social isolation to maybe allow me to find new job / friends / relationship going forward as currently I am basically starting from scratch again, as i let it all slip away during my isolation and have lost my social confidence entirely.

I feel i have avoided things so long my life has become stagnant and the previous job/relationship just was papering over things allowing me to avoid my problems.

Thanks again and i hope the others who mentioned they had went through similar managed to come to term / reach a better place themselves.
A good positive reply. Enjoy the walk - make sure you take music with you - that is always good for the soul.

Within the last 3 days:
A parent diagnosed with cancer, a long term relationship ended, losing my job for reasons outside my control and a family member commiting suicide.

I feel terrible and the constant stream of negativity in the news doesnt exactly help.

Anyone else gone through similar circumstances and have tips on how to overcome negative emotions and move forward, for someone who struggles socially a bit?
Oh goodness, what a terrible few days you've had! I'm so sorry that these things have happened, and especially that they've all happened more or less at once. These things do pile up.

I think the first thing to do is make your peace with the fact that you're probably going to feel a bit shit for a while. It won't last forever and there are ways to deal with it but trying to convince yourself that you're okay will only make you feel worse in the long-run. Sit with your emotions and be honest with yourself.

Next thing is to sort out what you absolutely need to do in order to keep everything functioning. So having lost your job, you will need to review your finances and make sure you have enough to get by, and depending on your circumstances that might mean getting into the job-search saddle ASAP. If you can afford to be out of work for a bit though it might be a good idea, just until you can get through all this.

Then you need to think about the really top-level family stuff, like supporting your parent with cancer, and anything you need to help with following the relative passing away etc. Work out what you need to do there, and commit to it (normally I'd say focus on yourself before doing this, but with life and death situations you don't have the luxury of waiting until you feel strong before you do things for other people).

Once that's all in hand, though, you have to prioritise you. Turn the news off, go for a walk every day, try to eat a balanced diet, and spend time focusing on the things you like. Football is nearly back so that's a good thing to take up a little of your time!

Be alone if you need to be. But don't be alone all the time. You don't have to talk about your feelings if you don't want to, but some sort of human connection is vital.

You will be okay. It takes time and work but you will.

I haven't had the same run of misfortune that you've had, but I've had a trying year or so with my health (nearly died, had to recover, then got diagnosed with cancer and had to have an operation) so I know how it can feel like the whole world is stacked against you. It's shit, but you just have to keep going until it rights itself.

Oh goodness, what a terrible few days you've had! I'm so sorry that these things have happened, and especially that they've all happened more or less at once. These things do pile up.

I think the first thing to do is make your peace with the fact that you're probably going to feel a bit shit for a while. It won't last forever and there are ways to deal with it but trying to convince yourself that you're okay will only make you feel worse in the long-run. Sit with your emotions and be honest with yourself.

Next thing is to sort out what you absolutely need to do in order to keep everything functioning. So having lost your job, you will need to review your finances and make sure you have enough to get by, and depending on your circumstances that might mean getting into the job-search saddle ASAP. If you can afford to be out of work for a bit though it might be a good idea, just until you can get through all this.

Then you need to think about the really top-level family stuff, like supporting your parent with cancer, and anything you need to help with following the relative passing away etc. Work out what you need to do there, and commit to it (normally I'd say focus on yourself before doing this, but with life and death situations you don't have the luxury of waiting until you feel strong before you do things for other people).

Once that's all in hand, though, you have to prioritise you. Turn the news off, go for a walk every day, try to eat a balanced diet, and spend time focusing on the things you like. Football is nearly back so that's a good thing to take up a little of your time!

Be alone if you need to be. But don't be alone all the time. You don't have to talk about your feelings if you don't want to, but some sort of human connection is vital.

You will be okay. It takes time and work but you will.

I haven't had the same run of misfortune that you've had, but I've had a trying year or so with my health (nearly died, had to recover, then got diagnosed with cancer and had to have an operation) so I know how it can feel like the whole world is stacked against you. It's shit, but you just have to keep going until it rights itself.
What a great post, i applaud you mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.