Lifestyle & retirement

Was lucky enough to be able to take my NHS pension at 55 but have continued to work part time since as it wouldn’t be enough to comfortably live on. Currently got a16 hours a week job which I do mainly from home and mainly when it suits me and also do bank nursing shifts at a local nursing home. Plenty of time for golf, would like to travel more but my wife also part time and it does seem to be difficult to fit that in.

I’m 43, no mortgage but no savings. Private pension contributions from most jobs for 20 years.

Last years health scare changed me significantly. I did intend to live for the day far more but I think I’m going to plan for the future now. Early retirement sounds alright.

I went down to three days a week a few months after my 63rd birthday and retired a few months before my 65th.
I was getting a bit bored and went back to work for my old employers two days a week in February (aged 65) and will retired fully next week a few days before I'm 66.
I went back as I knew they were busy and could work from home most of the time. The other thing that suited me about going back was that I chose which two days I worked and could vary it week by week.
If you have a load of things to do when retired then get out as soon as possible. If not then ask to reduce your hours gradually (if cash permits) so full time retirement doesn't come as too much of a shock.

For me retirement is a little postie job that keeps me fit and gives me framework around life to keep busy. (I get lazy)

Retired early so we can enjoy life whilst we can. My wife's going to do the same.

Very true about spending less when you get older, we've suddenly got a few shares and pension pots that give us a safety net and really that's all we need. We spend a lot more wisely as we get older too.

Lifes too short and health rarely lasts.

Things get harder and harder to do after 60 and I never thought I'd ever say that.

Years of drinking also catches up with you.

Enjoy life while you can. I've lost many many friends way too soon. (aged 18 to 60)

Lifes too short and health rarely lasts.

Things get harder and harder to do after 60 and I never thought I'd ever say that.

Years of drinking also catches up with you.

Enjoy life while you can. I've lost many many friends way too soon. (aged 18 to 60)
This.
Either the body declines, or the mind, or both. Jobs that used to be a piece of piss take longer or can't be done at all.
Life is short and precious, and I spent my best years in work dealing with cunts on a daily basis.*
Make sure that in your next life, you choose parents who are indulgent billionaires.

* No, I was not a gynaecologist, I am speaking figuratively.

This.
Either the body declines, or the mind, or both. Jobs that used to be a piece of piss take longer or can't be done at all.
Life is short and precious, and I spent my best years in work dealing with cunts on a daily basis.*
Make sure that in your next life, you choose parents who are indulgent billionaires.

* No, I was not a gynaecologist, I am speaking figuratively.
Try getting to the top of SSL3, that’ll show you were your at fitness/age wise, I know it’s getting harder.

Try getting to the top of SSL3, that’ll show you were your at fitness/age wise, I know it’s getting harder.

Yeah, them spirals are killers. To think I used to walk up Bowfell and barely broke a sweat! Now City's spirals are like the Eiger to me,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.