Lifestyle & retirement

I’d gladly never work again. I took ten months off after moving up here (money in the bank at the time) and had an absolute blast.

Sadly that’s not an option but I wish it was.

I'm 59 and retired 4 years ago. You might live till 80/85 but if you go to 67, how many good years of health and mobility will you have. Hopefully the wife will finish this time next year and we can move back north. You are the pilot and in charge, so land as soon as you can and enjoy not working. No stress and no battling to work and back every day.

58 looking to retire when I am 62. Mortage paid. I am little worried my savings and pension are all losing money at the moment. Even my ISAs are struggling. The cost of living crisis has made me rethink and also the need to help my kids buy a house. So I might work a year or two longer. My only real outgoings are football and beer. I don't have a car and my holidays are City in Europe and maybe a week in England in the Summer.

Retired at 47, got bored, got a part time job, 20 odd hours a week. It's not for the money but it tops up pots and means I can buy records without touching anything else.

Wife is still working. Loves her job. But will quit when she's 55.

Retired early, got some walking that I had been promising myself out of the way. Joined CAMRA at a beer festival and got stuck in. A branch meeting once a month, usually a 'Pub of the Month' to visit, a bus based social outing once a month and several train ale trails a year. It's not all about supping great beer, some meetings I might only have a couple of pints. Made some great new mates, together with everything else what's not to like about having no boss.

I’m not far off, just turned 55 but struggling with motivation at work staring at a VDU all day. Trouble is it pays very well and if I quit I won’t get back in easily. I am PT too but it pays more than FT in anything else I could do. Just trying to limp over the line when the mortgage ends next year and will make a decision then. City will be my biggest cost then so likely to take a hit.

Retired early, got some walking that I had been promising myself out of the way. Joined CAMRA at a beer festival and got stuck in. A branch meeting once a month, usually a 'Pub of the Month' to visit, a bus based social outing once a month and several train ale trails a year. It's not all about supping great beer, some meetings I might only have a couple of pints. Made some great new mates, together with everything else what's not to like about having no boss.
That sounds pretty good.

I'm just 60. Home owner, no mortgage and have a pension fund that actually went backwards last year. My contributions helped it stay to the value it was 12 months ago

Looking at what I want money wise, I need to get my fund to £350k to be sure it'll meet my needs, so that's looking like three years and work frustrates me and stresses me out!

So much I want to do and I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in one of my knees which I hope isn't going to completely fuck up my walking plans

The other thing is I really want to help my two girls with a wedge of cash each to help with their ambitions of being home owners, so do I work for a further twelve months?

For me retirement is a little postie job that keeps me fit and gives me framework around life to keep busy. (I get lazy)

Retired early so we can enjoy life whilst we can. My wife's going to do the same.

Very true about spending less when you get older, we've suddenly got a few shares and pension pots that give us a safety net and really that's all we need. We spend a lot more wisely as we get older too.
Did exactly the same took voluntary redundancy part time as a postie and was fitter than ever then came my big mistake, ex employers rang me up to go back contracting like a fool said yes 6 months down the line + 3 stone all health issues that had gone whilst walking 28,000 steps a day are back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.