Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Messi will be sold by Barcelona as it is an economic reality, in fact an economic inevitability for them.

The simple fact is Messi is worth a lot more to City, bayern, United, Chelsea or PSG than he is to Barca.
The incremental benefit to Barca of messi is not that massive, they have already sold the shirts and built the brand on him and if he goes they will build on Neymar and probably not lose that much commercially, so if he is sold they may lose 10m a year or so in revenue but they may save 15m in wages and gain 200m in transfer fees. Sponsorship, gates tv deal hit won't be massive and even on the pitch with Neymar and Suarez the drop off might not be great . Therefore for Barca economically if they can make it look like a win for the board politics wise it is a no brainer.

Conversely for the 5 teams mentioned getting messi would boost sponsorship, possibly boost gates, improve the team considerably, boost revenues and even if it cost 50m a season they would probably gain more if he performed well.

That is why I think it is inevitable he will go as his value to other teams is so much higher than it is to Barcelona and therefore at some point an offer will be made they would be crazy to refuse.

What I don't know is what really drives him and which of the various pulls the 5 potential suitors for his signature could offer him would win out! All could probably come true the table with a similar financial deal - though city, Chelsea and PSG probably more to gain than Rags or Bayern - he would then have to choose between the pros and cons of all.

Big question is what will Barca do if he wants to stay as I bet they will try to engineer the deal

Barca are under a transfer embargo until 2016 and have elections in 2016. It would be suicide for them to sell him before 2017. IN 2017 he'd be 30 and they might see that as a good time to cash in and a new challenge for the player.

gazzaa2 said:
Barca are under a transfer embargo until 2016 and have elections in 2016. It would be suicide for them to sell him before 2017. IN 2017 he'd be 30 and they might see that as a good time to cash in and a new challenge for the player.

They can start the transfer in/outs summer 2015.

as much as I think messi is a great player, when he leaves if he leave Barcelona imo he wouldn't be the same player, not to mention the absolute media circus in this country wherever he went, I don't think I want him, I think we would be better off buying 4/5 top players with the money I reckon it would take to buy messi.

having said that messi just behind Sergio with silva and nasri supporting ,oh my word :)

sir peace frog said:
as much as I think messi is a great player, when he leaves if he leave Barcelona imo he wouldn't be the same player, not to mention the absolute media circus in this country wherever he went, I don't think I want him, I think we would be better off buying 4/5 top players with the money I reckon it would take to buy messi.

having said that messi just behind Sergio with silva and nasri supporting ,oh my word :)

I don't know mate, that worked well for Spurs and Liverpool when they tried to go down that road...

Messi would bring the next level out of our team, not forgetting him raising everybody else's game.

sam-caddick said:
sir peace frog said:

I don't know mate, that worked well for Spurs and Liverpool when they tried to go down that road...

Messi would bring the next level out of our team, not forgetting him raising everybody else's game.

while to a certain extent true, I am sure we would avoid the Lamels'a and Lovren's if we had to spend 30-50M per player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.