Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah this is basically the situation right now, and its whether barca are able to clear the wage bill or not

I think it’s fair to say that unless La Liga have rolled over Barca have not solved the wage bill issue - the entire squad would need to agree a 40 per cent pay cut or around 10 to 12 players will need to leave (maybe more) to accommodate the other new signings and Messi. Any suggestion that Barca are even close to a resolution is bullshit and shows a complete lack of understanding or comprehension of the size of the problem- this is not about shipping out a few fringe players - they need to lose around £170m to £200m from the pay bill immediately.

I think it’s fair to say that unless La Liga have rolled over Barca have not solved the wage bill issue - the entire squad would need to agree a 40 per cent pay cut or around 10 to 12 players will need to leave (maybe more) to accommodate the other new signings and Messi. Any suggestion that Barca are even close to a resolution is bullshit and shows a complete lack of understanding or comprehension of the size of the problem- this is not about shipping out a few fringe players - they need to lose around £170m to £200m from the pay bill immediately.

True, but their wage cap is relative to their current income. Instead of reducing their wages, they can increase the other, a sponsorship deal, a stadium naing deal etc. Or a combination of that and reducing the wages. They will come up with something, I'm sure, can't see them going into the season not registering the players they've signed.

Doubt it would be enough to also add Messi though. If indeed that is what they both actually want.

Seen summat yesterday,said whilst Messi has no contract,he's losing 100k per day......I know he don't need it,but it's still a lot to lose.

True, but their wage cap is relative to their current income. Instead of reducing their wages, they can increase the other, a sponsorship deal, a stadium naing deal etc. Or a combination of that and reducing the wages. They will come up with something, I'm sure, can't see them going into the season not registering the players they've signed.

Doubt it would be enough to also add Messi though. If indeed that is what they both actually want.
As I understand it, the salary cap is based on last years revenue and not the upcoming years. Barcas salaries was last year 110% of their revenue, and the league cap is 75%. 75% is still a very high number. Might seem unfair since most clubs (if not all) had reduced revenue last year because of the pandemic, but thats the rules La Liga has set. It would be hard to set a salary cap based on next seasons revenue since it will be difficult to estimate what the revenue will be, and there is a fear clubs like Barca would base their estimated income this upcoming year based on a best case scenario, rather than a realistic one.

The salary cap doesnt mean that if the club already is above it, they would have to get rid of their current assets, since it could mean that clubs would more or less be forced to let assets they may have invested a lot of money in go. But it does mean that clubs that are in a bad financial state cant add new expenses to their salary bill before they have reduced their salaries to below 75% of last years revenue. Basically, the league won't force clubs to sell players, but they will prevent them from signing new ones as long as they are in a bad financial state. This is also why Barcelona are only allowed to reinvest 25% of any income from player sales on new assets.

They are trying to make large parts of their squad to accept a 40% paycut, but if I had a contract with a football club and the club asked me to take a 40% paycut so they can afford to sign a new player that will take my place in the team, I would obviously say no to that.

I still believe Barca will have a "clever" solution to solve this problem, but from the outside they sure look to be more or less f*cked. They will have huge problems selling any assets for anywhere near what they paid for them (or anything at all) because of 2 reasons: 1 - The whole world knows in what financial state they are in and how desperate they are to reduce their wage bill. 2 - Most, if not all, players dont want to leave since they are already playing in the club of their dreams and a departure would also mean they have to take a huge paycut since pretty much all of them are on wages about twice as high as their actual value.

Will be interesting to follow how they will sort this out. My guess at the moment is that Tebas will eventually back down from his no exceptions approach if the reallity is that the league would lose Messi if he dont.

Can't get my head round if all parties are uber happy with Messi being there why a contract wasn't signed off before the shit hit the fan, surely even if the previous guy was an idiot all his advisors couldn't have been as bad and Laporta certainly isn't thick as pig shit either.

Can't get my head round if all parties are uber happy with Messi being there why a contract wasn't signed off before the shit hit the fan, surely even if the previous guy was an idiot all his advisors couldn't have been as bad and Laporta certainly isn't thick as pig shit either.
I think it was early February Laporta said "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse"
5 month later???????....must of been some offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.