Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
why hasn't he signed then?

He's had months to put this to bed. Exactly what are his conditions ? Trophies, new signings blah blah blah. They look further away from winning things than they ever have. He was so unhappy last year and willing to leave but now everyone's ok. He's fine but everyone else will suffer

Anyone know how much they've managed to take off the wage bill so far ? I'm sure they signed another player yesterday lol

He's had months to put this to bed. Exactly what are his conditions ? Trophies, new signings blah blah blah. They look further away from winning things than they ever have. He was so unhappy last year and willing to leave but now everyone's ok. He's fine but everyone else will suffer
I honestly think at this point, Messi saw the media frenzy that happened last year and realized.. maybe it isn’t worth moving to a whole new league/country for a couple years. He has a family accustomed to life in Barcelona and to uproot that while dealing with all of the media attention isn’t worth the chance at a few more trophies. His career is what it is, regardless of whatever transpires the next 2-3 seasons.

As a city fan who loves Messi, it would be a dream scenario and I’ll always hold out hope, but it seems basically done and dusted that Messi has put his personal life above his footballing one (as he should). Almost feels like him winning Copa was the last obstacle and now he can retire in peace, regardless of the dumpster fire that Barcelona is right now.

Anyone know how much they've managed to take off the wage bill so far ? I'm sure they signed another player yesterday lol
1626175583174.jpeg
Look into the eyes, the eyes. Don’t look around the eyes, look into my eyes! 3-2-1 you’re under.

I‘m in charge of Barcelona’s finances and they are very healthy. There is absolutely no debt here. We have complied with all aspects of FFP and fulfilled our moral, legal and financial commitments as one of the biggest clubs in the world. We will keep Messi and sign several big name signings for hundreds of millions of Euros with a simple IOU that we are good for as our credit rating is AA+.

3-2-1, you’re back in the room.

Thanks for the detailed explination - makes sense apart from one thing that's niggling me...

If the only restrictions on a club over the salary cap are the signing of NEW players (so they could keep their current players even though they are over the cap) then surely Barca / Messi would have made sure that he extended his contract before it expired?

Unless the extension counts as a "new" player / contract?
I am only speculation here, but my guess is that any contract extension would count as a added cost to the wage bill because thats what it is. Messis contract expired and him signing a new contract would no matter how you look at it mean a huge expense for the club next season that they wouldn't have if he didn't extend.

The reason clubs are allowed to be above the wage cap with their current players are because of one reason, and one reason only: The clubs are legally bound to the cost of their contracts by already signed deals.
Barcelona has no obligation to pay Messi anything next season.

There is no big difference between extending a contract or making a new signing from a financial point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.