Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Messi would be in a position to make his own career decisions, rather than having Adidas dictate them to him. I think it's unlikely that he'd opt for United over City. Still think he'll remain at Barcelona though.

I think like Rooney, he's slave to his own contract right now. No one will pay the money needed for a player of his age, short of killing a career in China. I think him and Barca are now stuck together until the end, and I don't think he'll even mind that considering change will be made there this Summer.

Some players are better off staying at one club although it is a very tempting signing for us.

Hopefully we won't waste a huge outlay on him, he's not the player he was and we'd just be buying a memory.

Personally I don't get why people still want us to sign him. He's at the stage where he's past his peak and pretty soon he'll dwindle down into a less important player. Yes he's the best the player in the world and yes he's probably the best there has ever been, but signing him for £100+ when he's nearing the twilight of his career and hoping he performs at the same level for us is a huge gamble. Is it really worth displacing our current talent to shoehorn in the finished article for a couple of seasons? We've made so much progress why would we resort to trying to prove we're the big boys by signing the guy we've hopelessly chased for so many years? The only reason we've been linked to him for this long is because we were once the new kids on the block and trying to prove we could sign whoever we wanted. But we're not the up-and-comer anymore, we're an established European side and we'll continue to get better without spunking loads of money, unnecessararily, on the huge name signing to prove we're top dogs.

Alright, I'll bite. What are you lot on about?

"Not the player he was"? "Twilight of his career"? "Buying a memory"? "Wouldn't get in to this City side"? Complete ballocks.

Messi has 33 goals and 6 assists in 30 games this season. That not only exceeds his output in all of last season, already, but looks set to beat many of his Ballon d'Or seasons too.

We probably won't get Messi, but he's the best player in the world by a distance and isn't showing any signs of slowing. If there was a chance of landing him you can bet City would be all over it, as would any club. He's so good that you make space for him and he all but pays for himself.

Personally I don't get why people still want us to sign him. He's at the stage where he's past his peak and pretty soon he'll dwindle down into a less important player. Yes he's the best the player in the world and yes he's probably the best there has ever been, but signing him for £100+ when he's nearing the twilight of his career and hoping he performs at the same level for us is a huge gamble. Is it really worth displacing our current talent to shoehorn in the finished article for a couple of seasons? We've made so much progress why would we resort to trying to prove we're the big boys by signing the guy we've hopelessly chased for so many years? The only reason we've been linked to him for this long is because we were once the new kids on the block and trying to prove we could sign whoever we wanted. But we're not the up-and-comer anymore, we're an established European side and we'll continue to get better without spunking loads of money, unnecessararily, on the huge name signing to prove we're top dogs.
You talk a lot of sense BUT if he is going to leave Barca you can be certain we will try to get him. The deal would be largely self financing. Is he in decline? Maybe. But he should have 4-5 years left in the tank. Of course it smacks of short termism but this "gamble" as you put it will boil down to Pep. If he is open to a move and Pep wants him then he will be on his way regardless of the cost. My personal opinion is that he will stay at Barca and then take up a mega offer state side or in China.

Alright, I'll bite. What are you lot on about?

"Not the player he was"? "Twilight of his career"? "Buying a memory"? "Wouldn't get in to this City side"? Complete ballocks.

Messi has 33 goals and 6 assists in 30 games this season. That not only exceeds his output in all of last season, already, but looks set to beat many of his Ballon d'Or seasons too.

We probably won't get Messi, but he's the best player in the world by a distance and isn't showing any signs of slowing. If there was a chance of landing him you can bet City would be all over it, as would any club. He's so good that you make space for him and he all but pays for himself.

I think it's a step backwards and my post sums up my opinion on it. In light of your argument, would you sign fake Ronaldo if he was available (and if he wasn't a rag)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.