Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he, Messi, made a major error in not asking to leave at what would have been the original end of the season (early May). He could have done that quietly and in private to the President. And told him he would continue until the end of the extended season but as soon as all of Barca's fixtures were complete, he would be leaving as a free agent.

What does that even mean, 'original end'? There were matches left to play, he was never going to abandon his teammates, the club or a competition he prioritizes so much in the CL

The error(s), from my POV, is having stuck with his father as his agent and assuming Bartomeu would fall based on the weight of his continued incompetence from socis. Can't fault him for trusting his father & his Barca family but they both failed him. His error is having gone with his heart rather than his head but that's largely why we love him

With the hand grenade that Messi threw yesterday about the state of the club, I'm not sure top players and new sponsors will be in a rush to get on board.

Whilst Messi may or may not stay, he has done a lot of damage to Barca
very true, also not sure why Barca would want him to sign a new contract beyond next year. they woukd get less money for him surely goven his age.

Not Christmas - he'll wait until the elections in March meaning we'll have to deal with constant rumours and speculation from January onwards. Then the new president will bring Xavi in as manager and pitch him a promising new project with young players and he'll sign a new deal (unless they are completely and utterly shit and have another CL capitulation)

messi is too old to be part of a project, he needs to be the icing on the cake to win things. Whether he sees it that way I another thing. Imo real are way further into their re growth than Barca, which could make them winning trophies fairly unlikely

Barca were damaged the moment Josep Maria Bartomeu was elected.

It goes further back actually - you cannot separate him from Rosell who continues to work behind the scenes and is surely preparing himself as the continuity candidate in the coming elections. But truthfully, even earlier during Laporta's tenure, it was clear that Rosell/Bartomeu's aim was to kill the Cruyff mystique and revert to a conservative corporate model with zero sporting logic

no way if city offer a decent deal in the next week or so they dont take it imo Ahsan. The other board members should now be saying the same! The finances and business side comes first.

I don't think it's that simple. They don't want to be the guys who sold Messi. That much is obvious. Personally I would be very cautious about getting even a tiny bit optimistic that it will happen this window. Barcelona will cut off their financial nose to save face in this instance. But I can't lie and say it's dead dead when there's stuff floating around to suggest it isn't.

If Messi is true about wanting a new challenge etc, put an offer into Barca, they are skint, he’s not winning anything staying there except adulation from the fans for 3 years, at least Ronaldo saw this as Madrid are in a similar situation, you might not like him but he challenges himself.

Barca were damaged the moment Josep Maria Bartomeu was elected and to be fair Barca were damaged when Pep and co left, partially for political reasons.

Not sure the Barca supporters/ election system is a good working model, it seems to go wrong as much as they get it right.
Not saying they weren't, but responding to a spefic question posed, see above

What does that even mean, 'original end'? There were matches left to play, he was never going to abandon his teammates, the club or a competition he prioritizes so much in the CL

The error(s), from my POV, is having stuck with his father as his agent and assuming Bartomeu would fall based on the weight of his continued incompetence from socis. Can't fault him for trusting his father & his Barca family but they both failed him. His error is having gone with his heart rather than his head but that's largely why we love him
The original end of the season, mid May, before the covid situation extended the season.

If he wanted out and he clearly did, does, sentiment does not come into it.

Divorces/ saying goodbye is difficult, even more so when your talking of someone on a reported 1m a week.

The people in charge of you should not be making errors or taking somebody's word for serious decisions!

His contract end of season thing is a farce. if there is no date then 100% messi is free to leave. i just dont see how that could be challenged. I just dont see what the problem was on this issue. Why have a contract at all if you allow the other party to dictate terms and use their incorrect interpretation of it to make you do something against your will. This makes me suspect it was some kind of set up. but for reasons i have no idea.

It goes further back actually - you cannot separate him from Rosell who continues to work behind the scenes and is surely preparing himself as the continuity candidate in the coming elections. But truthfully, even earlier during Laporta's tenure, it was clear that Rosell/Bartomeu's aim was to kill the Cruyff mystique and revert to a conservative corporate model with zero sporting logic
Very true, and hence why he should have taken our offer in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.