Lionel Messi

It’s all about the product and I wouldn’t be surprised to find out the show casing of Messi has also meant the opposition being compliantly involved lol.
I was just saying this to mates yesterday in our football group chat.

If you watch all of his goals, nearly all come from very suspect defending, keeping, or both. The fact that Robert Taylor has all of a sudden become Bernardo Silva (only no defender seems interested in getting near him) to set up Messi numerous times is quite interesting in of itself.

And they have all been in the inaugural campaign of the Leagues Cup (combined MLS and Liga MX Cup competition), in which both leagues have a vested interest in maximising viewership to establish the comp as viable and noteworthy.

Messi is still good, and the level of MLS is certainly below Ligue 1, but some of the opposition play for his goals and assists defy logic. At times he is left completely unmarked for no apparent reason, even though he is by far the most dangerous player on the pitch in every single match.

And his former Barca mates coming to play in their twilight hasn’t miraculously turned all of the other Inter Miami players in to world class tacticians, nor opposition players in to U12 upstarts.

Some of the goals are decent, but several genuinely look choreographed, and few more just seem too easy, even for the level of play.

Reminds me of what my coach used to instruct several us to do in training matches when our star striker went on a barren patch: don’t try too hard to get the ball off him or block his shots; we need to give him back a bit of confidence.

Some of it will no doubt be players being in awe of playing with Messi and being afraid of injuring him, of course. But I don’t think that explains all of it.

Even if you don’t believe he is being helped to turn around matches toward the end, I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume he will be heavily protected when the league starts back up proper in September.

So glad for Messi. So happy to see he's enjoying his life in MLS, are appreciated everywhere from home teams to away teams, and actually, the whole league appreciates his arrival.
Inter Miami didn't have win 12/13 games before he joined. But now with him in the team, 4 wins in a row now for the bottom team. 7 goals in 4 games!

He deserves all of the loves from all MLS fans. The opponent fans support their teams while wearing Messi shirt, while the players in the opponents team still happy asking for a photo with Messi after losing the match, that's so funny and so crazy!

It's just show how ungrateful PSG fans were, and they deserve all the mess they currently have now.

I slagged off his debut free-kick as very dodgy and staged. Credit where it’s due though, that was a good ‘un.

I slagged off his debut free-kick as very dodgy and staged. Credit where it’s due though, that was a good ‘un.
The keeper was again positioned poorly, like his debut freekick.

Messi found the top corner, to be sure, but it wasn’t perfectly in it. Watch where the hand of the keeper is as the ball crossed below the crossbar—he saves that shot if he is positioned correctly (about a foot or so to his right, at which point he could reach both sides of the goal on a freekick from that distance, at that speed).

Keepers keep doing this when he takes free kicks (standing about a foot or two further one way or another than is optimal for freekicks from range), for no apparent reason.

The keeper was again positioned poorly, like his debut freekick.

Messi found the top corner, to be sure, but it wasn’t perfectly in it. Watch where the hand of the keeper is as the ball crossed below the crossbar—he saves that shot if he is positioned correctly (about a foot or so to his right, at which point he could reach both sides of the goal on a freekick from that distance, at that speed).

Keepers keep doing this when he takes free kicks (standing about a foot or two further one way or another than is optimal for freekicks from range), for no apparent reason.

My original post didn't really talk about his free-kick, but surely we can talk a bit about it (Well, maybe because I posted his recent goal, which is coincidently a free-kick).

- Yeah, in fairness, I think the GK in his first goal for Inter Miami can choose a better position. Not much for the GK in his last freekick though. Anyway, many goal keepers in the top leagues of the whole world, just had that kind of positions (you can see that in my clip).
- And yeah, his top corner wasn't perfect, like it should go about 5cm closer to the corner, I think. And yeah, almost none of his free-kicks were perfect. ;)

Btw, could you share a perfect free-kick?

Last edited:

- Yeah, in fairness, I think the GK in his first goal for Inter Miami can choose a better position. Not much for the GK in his last freekick though. Anyway, many goal keeps in La Liga, one of the top league in the whole world, just had that kind of positions.
- And yeah, his top corner wasn't perfect, like it should go about 1cm or 2cm closer to the corner, I think ;)

I think the keeper for the most recent one could have done better. He was very close even with his poor position.

And Messi doesn’t hit his freekicks as hard as he did when he was in La Liga, hence why keepers have a much better chance of saving them now, as they travel slightly more slowly, increasing reaction times.

If only they wouldn’t give Messi half the goal to aim at. ;-)

I think the keeper for the most recent one could have done better. He was very close even with his poor position.

And Messi doesn’t hit his freekicks as hard as he did when he was in La Liga, hence why keepers have a much better chance of saving them now, as they travel slightly more slowly, increasing reaction times.

If only they wouldn’t give Messi half the goal to aim at. ;-)
I just shared you the link of other top goal keepers who failed to stop Messi free-kicks, and they didn't do anything better in similar situations comparing to the last free-kick from Messi. And in fact, they choose very similar positions.
So I share again:
- Messi free-kicks:
- Latest free-kick:

You said they travel "slightly more slowly", based on what, your eyes? Then OK, you might be right, but you could also be wrong. Basically, there's nothing to back up your opinion. But yeah, you're entitle to have your opinion, so I won't discuss more about that point.

And, again, could you share your perfect free-kick? I'm asking because you said "Messi found the top corner, to be sure, but it wasn’t perfectly in it" in your previous post. I feel like you just give your opinion with very little reasoning/information to back it up.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.