Liverpool 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more than a little churlish to roundly criticise Liverpool fans for being attached to what has been their home for the last 120 plus years. There's enough among our number who still harbour sentimental (and frequently somewhat rose-tinted) feelings for Maine Road, inspite of the fact that it wasn't fit for purpose by the time we walked away from it. A place where you've grown up, and experienced great highs and lows, is always going to have a firm grip on you, emotionally. If you truly love your football club, its ground will be a cornerstone of your life.

The point is, however, that being wedded to a notion that your sporting home should be situated in the same place that it was before powered flight was invented, bears little rigorous scrutiny. The road, public transport network and housing stock around those grounds will now always limit the opportunites to give the punter what they want and to allow the club to expand in a way that will allow it to compete.

Liverpool will stay at a modestly developed Anfield. It's difficult to imagine that development advancing much further, unless something drastic changes. Sometimes vision requires taking what appears at the time to be an utterly insane risk. That approach is not the style of their owners.

I think Liverpool will ultimately glance upon the decision to remain at Anfield as the one that fatally flawed their aspirations to claw themselves back from the doldrums of English football and flourish as a club.

Last edited:
I've said the same about Everton, if they manage a new stadium on the docks and get the design right, it will be an instant icon. Liverpool already has a fantastic skyline from the river. A new stadium would look amazing on the river.
Everton away would quite literally be on my doorstep.

Cr0pzZfWYAAucst.jpg
another one ,another cracking view

Will the seats in the foreground be on a novelty swivel?

I think it's more than a little churlish to roundly criticise Liverpool fans for being attached to what has been their home for the last 120 plus years. There's enough among our number who still harbour sentimental (and frequently somewhat rose-tinted) feelings for Maine Road, inspite of the fact that it wasn't fit for purpose by the time we walked away from it. A place where you've grown up, and experienced great highs and lows, is always going to have a firm grip on you, emotionally. If you truly love your football club, its ground will be a cornerstone of your life.

The point is, however, that being wedded to a notion that your sporting home should be situated in the same place that it was before powered flight was invented, bears little rigorous scrutiny. The road, public transport network and housing stock around those grounds will now always limit the opportunites to give the punter what they want and to allow the club to expand in a way that will allow it to compete.

Liverpool will stay at a modestly developed Anfield. It's difficult to imagine that development advancing much further, unless something drastic changes. Sometimes vision requires taking what appears at the time to be an utterly insane risk. That approach is not the style of their owners.

I think Liverpool will ultimately glance upon the decision to remain at Anfield as the one that fatally flawed their aspirations to claw themselves back from the doldrums of English football and flourish as a club.

Why do you have to be so damn reasonable. Why can't we just be holier than thou bigots,
taking the piss out of everything scouse ?

That's an incredibly short sighted viewpoint. Unless you evict more people from their homes against their will, you'll never be able to develop around the stadium and that could seriously affect your future income.
You could have built a brand new state of the art stadium on the waterfront. It would have become instantly iconic. Anfield is no more special than Maine Rd was, or Highbury, or the Boleyn ground. City, Arsenal and West Ham are now in modern state of the art stadiums that will in time be just as special as their old grounds, but more importantly they bring in a far greater income. Liverpool appear to be stuck in the past.

Few issues, firstly we don't have owners who would spend 500+ million on a stadium. The 2 phase project to get Anfield to 59000 is costing half that. Yes, its not really enough and its basically only adding 14000 seats, but is typical of FSG, everything is done in half measures. Secondly and I might need the tin hat for saying this, but Anfield is already iconic. The club is sold to fans around the World on Anfield and the Kop, when you aren't winning trophies you need something unique and Anfield is it. It is special and World-famous, even if the reality doesn't match the legend most of the time.

let's be realistic here- tomorrow they are merely opening an extension to their main stand. not a new stadium or even stand but the football equivalent of a lean to on your house.

Few issues, firstly we don't have owners who would spend 500+ million on a stadium. The 2 phase project to get Anfield to 59000 is costing half that. Yes, its not really enough and its basically only adding 14000 seats, but is typical of FSG, everything is done in half measures. Secondly and I might need the tin hat for saying this, but Anfield is already iconic. The club is sold to fans around the World on Anfield and the Kop, when you aren't winning trophies you need something unique and Anfield is it. It is special and World-famous, even if the reality doesn't match the legend most of the time.

And there you have it, concise, well reasoned. understated and wholly accurate......it's hard to believe some people still consider Liverpool fans delusional isn't it.

Of course, a once every few years occasion of singing 'YNWA' loudly prior to kick off and waving a few flags around on those "famous Anfield European nights" doesn't quite match up to being spat on and having your coaches bricked does it.

It's like paying to see a 55 year old Madonna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.