Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Liverpool are so far below our glass ceiling that "Mo" was fully justified in controlling the ball with his arm before slotting it home. A brilliant act of giant killing by those plucky reds. A triumph which every supporter of a PL club is celebrating wildly as the scousers show that an eleven of free transfers and academy rejects can beat anyone with excellent management - even when the manager is a non-native speaker who can't always say what he means.

Apologies, I should have been clearer here - I meant that Bernie needed to take on Kev's more usual role in the hole. I completely agree that KDB out wide is poor positioning, and he and Gundog shouldn't be in the same line up. I also don't understand why KdB and Foden should stand at the corner flag together. All we are doing is depriving ourselves of an additional presence in or around the box. However, that is probably an argument for another thread.

Yes, it would be good to hear Pep explain this to us. There will be a reason for it.

For Pep its all about possession...if you dont have the ball you cant score a goal. If everyone is in the box, its too congested, we rely on "luck" that the ball ends up in the net....but if we have 2 at the corner the opposition is forced to approach the ball / player...this draws them out of the box, creating more space and therefore more chance of scoring...

A "traditional" corner leaves us susceptible to counter attack as we'll be a man short due to him taking the corner....keep the ball, pass the ball, score a goal

Reactions: PPT
Still reeling from that result on Sunday. Before the game I was confident we would turn up and finally give them a lesson on their own patch. We're clearly a class above them footballing wise, we just didn't show it on the day. Fair play to bingos team. We lost due to their energy, running around really fast, solid low line defense, our one defensive mistake and a terrible refereeing decision. In hindsight I think we could've been set up better or least changed it in the second half. Moving Foden up top with Erling and bringing an in form Grealish on to unlock their defense and draw some fouls from Milner may have created a few more chances.
Agree with this.

For Pep its all about possession...if you dont have the ball you cant score a goal. If everyone is in the box, its too congested, we rely on "luck" that the ball ends up in the net....but if we have 2 at the corner the opposition is forced to approach the ball / player...this draws them out of the box, creating more space and therefore more chance of scoring...

A "traditional" corner leaves us susceptible to counter attack as we'll be a man short due to him taking the corner....keep the ball, pass the ball, score a goal
The Salah goal was spookily similar to the Vinicius (or however it is spelt) goal in last seasons CL. We leave someone one on one with a dangerous player, how many one on ones did Halaand have while Liverpool were up the other end, we never break quickly. Maybe it is just the way we play and something we have to accept but it does leave us vulnerable against the best.
And just before I finally accept it and focus on the Brighton game, why were Phil and KDB both over that free kick prior to the goal, send Phil up and drop Gundo back as cover.
Off to the Brighton pre-match with a 'schmoke and a pancake'.

I believe that Pep changes in the lineup made it difficult for City to create clear chances
Yes we had more control and possession with Gundogan in the midfield, but I believe that City were at their best this season against United just a couple of weeks ago
Why wouldn't Pep trust that team? I mean that team really won 6-1 before the substitutes
The best lineup against Liverpool would've been;
Ederson
Cancelo - Akanji - Dias - Ake
Rodri
Bernardo - De Bruyne
Foden - Haaland - Grealish

Once we score a goal, then Pep can start thinking about getting more possession and control of the game with Gundogan in the midfield
We respected Liverpool too much, but that won't happen in the Etihad

The Salah goal was spookily similar to the Vinicius (or however it is spelt) goal in last seasons CL. We leave someone one on one with a dangerous player, how many one on ones did Halaand have while Liverpool were up the other end, we never break quickly. Maybe it is just the way we play and something we have to accept but it does leave us vulnerable against the best.
And just before I finally accept it and focus on the Brighton game, why were Phil and KDB both over that free kick prior to the goal, send Phil up and drop Gundo back as cover.
Off to the Brighton pre-match with a 'schmoke and a pancake'.
There is really no excuse for Cancelo, he made a risky challenge and missed the ball
At least he would've entered into a race with Salah if he just left the ball. I don't know if Salah would win that race, but at least he should give himself a change
In these positions I only trust Walker. Even if he missed the ball he would'e used his speed to make another challenge
We usually put Walker in these positions anyways

Could have easily gone 1-0 to us. 1 mistake cost us the match. Still rather be in our position in the league than theirs even at this early stage. With Haaland in the form he is you really cant see anything but City on another very long winning streak by which time this match will have be a faded memory and the PL table positions will have reverted back to normality.

I believe that Pep changes in the lineup made it difficult for City to create clear chances
Yes we had more control and possession with Gundogan in the midfield, but I believe that City were at their best this season against United just a couple of weeks ago
Why wouldn't Pep trust that team? I mean that team really won 6-1 before the substitutes
Ederson
Rodri
Bernardo - De Bruyne

Once we score a goal, then Pep can start thinking about getting more possession and control of the game with Gundogan in the midfield
Just wasnt our day. Its a graveyard that place. We played well. Never deserved to lose. Lets see where we all are after 38 matches. Who would seriously back against City being top.

I think its more Intensity and pace - doesn't suit his Barcelona tiki taki beautiful view of the game - he really struggles. Will us v Spuds be any better - we always struggle v them as well.... Walker fit and able to cover is key but a big IF now regards his pace. Also Walker was good at shepherding players away from the danger area most of the time, has great body strength and his pace made it hard for defenders. Without that cover...against quick sides who rely on power...we will always struggle..not just at THAT place
To be how honest I don’t feel think we have been great in half the games we have played this season. Think we have become a bit carried away with the Haaland effect.
Ederson
Rodri
Bernardo - De Bruyne

I’m not convinced that it would have made a huge amount of difference to be honest. Pep knows what he is doing. The problems on Sunday for me were that our defence is weak when under pressure and with Walker out we don’t have enough quality cover against the very best teams.

The other one is that we let the emotion of the game get to us. We should have kept our cool, carried on playing keep ball, not committing too many players forward and let them burn out and get more desperate as they absolutely needed to win. The disallowed goal was the turning point as we lost our composure a bit and so did Pep. They almost scored straight after it.

We didn’t play badly, they played well and we lost by one goal. It’s not like we got absolutely hammered. It’s not unusual either given we have won there once in 41 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.