Liverpool (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a real worry now that Pep doesn’t think our usual system will work in the tough away games.

Individual performances will improve no doubt but if he’s going to try 3 at the back at Anfield/Stamford Bridge/Allianz/Bernabau because he doesnt fancy his full back options, it’s a real real concern if he have any chance of winning the CL.

Zin out and only Gomez in was a terrible move all round for this season.
We have a stronger defence now than we did last season.

Erling's shirt pull, Salah's arm.

Sorry to keep mulling this over, but I really can't get it out my head. Erling's “shirt pull”, if you watch it in real time, which is how it happened, there really is nothing to see. There is no clear and obvious error. Taylor had been letting that go on all over the pitch for the entire match, from both sides. But let that one pass.

There is, however, the supplementary question of phase of play. Whatever happened between Erling and Fabinho, watch it back, and it seems to be patently in a different phase of play to Foden's goal.

Now. Salah's arm, his using it to stifle the rebound of the ball, put it down on to his foot, and gain a clear advantage on Cancelo such that he can no longer catch him, is in exactly the phase of play from which the goal comes. Obviously, because it's the offender, directly, who scores it.

There is only one possible conclusion: I've never believed in a conspiracy against City, and for the dippers. But here is a clear case where the rules are being applied differently. There really does seem to be one rule for LFC, when they're at Anfield, and another for everyone else.

I'm even prepared to concede that Liverpool had far clearer chances than ours, and that they should in fact have put the game out of sight. The fact is they didn't. As far as I can understand it, we had a good goal ruled out, contrary to the rules, and they had an illegitimate goal allowed, contrary to the rules.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

That game leaves a really bad taste. We had two magnificent games against them last season, and fair dos, the one at Anfield I have pretty much even, the second one we battered them, but didn't take our chances, and they came back at us. Two great games of football for the neutral. I'll accept that.

I'm still fucking seething, in fact. Bring on Brighton so we can get this out of our system.
Push on Haaland before he grabs the shirt.

center back we do, full back we are much weaker (and we were already light there)

Walkers seemingly turned injury prone, Gomez isn’t anywhere near up to starting the big games. It’s basically Cancelo plus an out of position center half.
Zinchenko is a miss don’t care what anyone says. Quality player and very reliable.

Yep, it's very much a weakness that should have been addressed in the summer
it looks a minor problem, and cancelo for 30 games a season is OK playing leftwing because of who we are playing,
But the better teams know that we are gambling and don't have the leftback good enough to make us the complete team that can go down both sides that can opens up the defences

I feel for pep because its the one big problem has never ever been solved, when you look back all our major problems in Champions League and playing Liverpool have been on our left side at left back,

if you look at Liverpool they are a European team setup and results in the Champions League speak for themselves
Pep fears teams that can go back to front on both sides with pace and target our left side with players a Salah,

I don't think the 3 at the back works with a flat 3 central defenders and Cancelo ? Its one-sided and not balanced and it takes our main holding player out of the game, yesterday we had the 3 central defenders and Cancelo then silva rodri gundogan all deep sitting back, i think pep change it after about 30 minutes with silva pushed up to help foden down the left, but again we just played the ball around,

winter window I would go straight into the market for a world-class left back and sod what it will cost
Agreed.

Apologies, I should have been clearer here - I meant that Bernie needed to take on Kev's more usual role in the hole. I completely agree that KDB out wide is poor positioning, and he and Gundog shouldn't be in the same line up. I also don't understand why KdB and Foden should stand at the corner flag together. All we are doing is depriving ourselves of an additional presence in or around the box. However, that is probably an argument for another thread.
Yes, it would be good to hear Pep explain this to us. There will be a reason for it.

Cancelo’s delayed response to his fuck up pissed me up as well. There’s a moment where he’s just looking about like he’s bemused before he sets off after Salah. Pathetic passage of play
It wasn't good, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.