Liverpool (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Liverpool still went through us like butter when he came on just watch it! It might of felt we had more control but the way Liverpool play doesn't matter who you have in midfield they play so quickly press so fast play the ball continually down or wings it's hard to cope who ever you are..

That was the least control I have ever seen City play at Anfield during Guardiola’s time here and somehow managed to get away with a point. A head scratcher of a game, they threw the kitchen sink at City and somehow we didn’t buckle.

It's only ridiculous because you watched the highlights instead of the game. We played really well for first 10 minutes, then Liverpool slowly started getting some possession and the game became even. After we scored, we slowed it down instead of going for the kill, it was all Liverpool afterwards and we got a few chances here and there against the run of play.
I rewatched the game this morning and on second viewing I have a few observations...

1) We played really well in the first half hour.
2) We played too deep in the last 20minutes of the first half.
3) The penalty was ridiculous and was 100% on Ake. It was marginal wether Eddy would get the ball. On relfection we'd say back of and make Nunez play it. But we've seen Eddy get to a lot of those 50/50's.
4) Eddy should have been subbed for the penalty. He was clearly injured at that point.
5) The pen (and Eddy getting injured) affected us for about 10 minutes. Ake lost his shit and didn't really get himself sorted out for the rest of the game.
6) After the pen they did that weird thing that they do where they seem to go even more mental than usual. During this time it was chaos, the ball was pinging about and we couldn't control it. That was only dealt with when Kovacic came in and he and Rodri got some control of the midfield. We made a few decent chances in that time and could have gone ahead again. Phil was quite annoying when he shot rather than passed on a few occasions.
7) When we got into the last 15 minutes we got forced deep again because of their press and it got a bit manic but for all the bluster they actually created very little clear cut. And the couple of things they did do were dealt with by Ortega (who was absolutely excellent).
8) They did that manic shit and becasue they were not really creating much started reverting to trhowing themselves onto the deck at every opportunity. Doku could have conceded a penalty but for once Oliver made a good decision.

Summary... an exellent away point. We never folded under their pressure (which we have done in the past multiple times).

There needs to be an investigation into how they maintain energy levels like that week in week out. Its hard to understand...

Their style of football is absolutely appalling. Its Graham Taylor/John Beck/Wimbledon.

I generally thought Michael Oliver refereed the game well, but I did notice that basically every tackle or challenge they made completed by going through our player or resulted in a push off balance. This wasn't picked up by the referee and explaned why we lost the ball more then usual.

I hope their style disappears from the game when Klopp goes. Its horrible stuff. It was shit in the 80's and its shit now.

We did very well to survive and get the point.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with that but the same applied long before Pep rocked up, we seem scared of them, and that sickens me, after the words of Trent Arnold we should have come out and battered the disrespectable MFs

And even more importantly, make sure that shark toothed twat does not end his reign with the title.
All this talk of atmosphere is quite funny really. Anfield’s atmosphere is overrated and we’ve often gone there and deserved more than we’ve come away with. Yesterday it was different - we were quite fortunate to come away with a point but I can live with that because of all the times we’ve deserved something more than we got.

Liverpool fans were actually bang up for it almost throughout which is a change to the norm but even in situations like that I think the atmosphere is a red herring. After all, how many times have we won at Old Trafford since 2008 despite United fans being up for it?

After a really decent first half, the second was a painful slow death that I assumed would be lost near to the end, but somehow we held out.

I agreed with the KdB sub, he was having little to no impact anymore, plus Alvarez simply didn't re-emerge from the dressing room (I thought his first half was decent enough, though). Foden and Silva both quiet on top of that meant we had a 2nd half in which we simply lay down and let the back 5 take a pummelling (well done Ortega, Akanji and Walker). Liverpool's intensity was huge and credit to Quansah & Endo who played well.

Doku was very unlucky to hit the post and for it to go straight back to Kelleher but i was dismayed to see him not go in with the head and let it bounce in the box for the late penalty claim, that was poor.

All this talk of atmosphere is quite funny really. Anfield’s atmosphere is overrated and we’ve often gone there and deserved more than we’ve come away with. Yesterday it was different - we were quite fortunate to come away with a point but I can live with that because of all the times we’ve deserved something more than we got.

Liverpool fans were actually bang up for it almost throughout which is a change to the norm but even in situations like that I think the atmosphere is a red herring. After all, how many times have we won at Old Trafford since 2008 despite United fans being up for it?
Anfield has and always was a myth, media hype at it's finest but Pep seems to have fallen for it,

The coach attack a few years ago should have motivated the team, it did the opposite.

Arnolds bullshit about trophies should have wound us up, it seemed to have the opposite effect and probably Klopp told him to do it for that reason.

Liverpool are vermin, a club I detest even more than the rags, I wish the people involved in our club felt the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.