Liverpool (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

How did you feel about it? 2 points lost, 1 point gained, or lucky to get anything?
When I saw the liverpool team I thought it was 3 points for the taking but on the balance of the 90 then definitely 1 point gained

Its clear our setup struggles against a quick counter attack so we are probably going to experience a very similar game against spurs

Overall could have been 3 points and could have had none !

VAR surprised me, liverpool energy levels surprised me. Made us look very knackered. No complaints about the ref.

Going out on a limp here. The penalty it was an odd 'foul' he had time to put both feet together than do a brilliant spring dive. It wasnt natural. Think eddy hurt himself by spreading his legs hence is groin injury.
Duko at the end surprised it wasnt given to be honest.

Yeah it was a struggle yesterday, but nothing to do with the atmosphere, the lads can cope with any of that shit.

We were playing a good team and on a pitch that is smaller than we usually play on and it suits the way Liverpool play, makes it tighter for us.

England aren't allowed to play internationals at anfield because the pitch isn't big enough, but Liverpool are still allowed to play all their games there. If the PL wanted an even playing field they'd follow suit and demand the pitch size is increased, but as it is it's an advantage for them.

I thought Michael Oliver refereed exactly as Michael Oliver always does. He only gives penalties that are 100% clear, so the one they got was given but the others appeals weren't. In previous occasions this has cost us, but yesterday it was on our side, one thing he was though was consistent with his usual way of reffing.

Virtually nobody at that stage of last season believed we were going to win the Treble. I remember there were posts that our squad was the weakest in Pep's era.

Except me :) My post from 1st March 2023.

It's a very good run considering there were 5 away games back-to-back. Feels like we're slowly getting back to our stride. Grealish and Ake in great form, Foden is back, Dias is back, Bernardo getting better, Alvarez getting lots of minutes, Rodri gets some rotation... follow up with 2 home wins against Newcastle and Liepzig, and the treble looks on.

Link to thread

I rewatched the game this morning and on second viewing I have a few observations...

1) We played really well in the first half hour.
2) We played too deep in the last 20minutes of the first half.
3) The penalty was ridiculous and was 100% on Ake. It was marginal wether Eddy would get the ball. On relfection we'd say back of and make Nunez play it. But we've seen Eddy get to a lot of those 50/50's.
4) Eddy should have been subbed for the penalty. He was clearly injured at that point.
5) The pen (and Eddy getting injured) affected us for about 10 minutes. Ake lost his shit and didn't really get himself sorted out for the rest of the game.
6) After the pen they did that weird thing that they do where they seem to go even more mental than usual. During this time it was chaos, the ball was pinging about and we couldn't control it. That was only dealt with when Kovacic came in and he and Rodri got some control of the midfield. We made a few decent chances in that time and could have gone ahead again. Phil was quite annoying when he shot rather than passed on a few occasions.
7) When we got into the last 15 minutes we got forced deep again because of their press and it got a bit manic but for all the bluster they actually created very little clear cut. And the couple of things they did do were dealt with by Ortega (who was absolutely excellent).
8) They did that manic shit and becasue they were not really creating much started reverting to trhowing themselves onto the deck at every opportunity. Doku could have conceded a penalty but for once Oliver made a good decision.

Summary... an exellent away point. We never folded under their pressure (which we have done in the past multiple times).

There needs to be an investigation into how they maintain energy levels like that week in week out. Its hard to understand...

Their style of football is absolutely appalling. Its Graham Taylor/John Beck/Wimbledon.

I generally thought Michael Oliver refereed the game well, but I did notice that basically every tackle or challenge they made completed by going through our player or resulted in a push off balance. This wasn't picked up by the referee and explaned why we lost the ball more then usual.

I hope their style disappears from the game when Klopp goes. Its horrible stuff. It was shit in the 80's and its shit now.

We did very well to survive and get the point.
The bit on Ortega is spot on - to come on at that particular point and play with the composure that he displayed was freakishly impressive.

As a mate suggested, that's probably sealed his move away for high level first team football in the summer...........

Yeah it was a struggle yesterday, but nothing to do with the atmosphere, the lads can cope with any of that shit.

We were playing a good team and on a pitch that is smaller than we usually play on and it suits the way Liverpool play, makes it tighter for us.

England aren't allowed to play internationals at anfield because the pitch isn't big enough, but Liverpool are still allowed to play all their games there. If the PL wanted an even playing field they'd follow suit and demand the pitch size is increased, but as it is it's an advantage for them.

I thought Michael Oliver refereed exactly as Michael Oliver always does. He only gives penalties that are 100% clear, so the one they got was given but the others appeals weren't. In previous occasions this has cost us, but yesterday it was on our side, one thing he was though was consistent with his usual way of reffing.
Thats a very good point about the tight pitch.

First twenty minutes, we looked like we were gonna take them apart. As soon as we scored it seemed to galvanize them and they just got stronger and stronger as the game wore on. They were all over us in the second half and I can't think of many teams that wouldn't have caved in under that pressure. We aren't at our best, we haven't really been all season, but that's because we've set the bar so high. Fact is though, them and Arsenal are playing out of their skins yet we're right up there with them both. We are every teams cup final, even so called easy games are a slog as every team steps up a year against us. No wander we can sometimes look leggy and laboured. Keep the faith. It's all to play for.

We simply did not cope with their energy and youthfulness, that was the issue after a brilliant opening 10 minutes when we looked superb.

We need a major fresh up this summer, we are starting to have a few passengers at times and key players running on fumes.

The amount of games we play for me Pep needs to rethink squad size, ours is far too small and with the Euros/cops america in the summer, most of these players will be on their last legs before the start of next season even starts.
Totally agree that we need to now freshen the squad. Think some players after winning it all now need to be replaced

That was the least control I have ever seen City play at Anfield during Guardiola’s time here and somehow managed to get away with a point. A head scratcher of a game, they threw the kitchen sink at City and somehow we didn’t buckle.

Yep problem was when Liverpool had the ball we were in between the back line staying deep and the midfield half pressing that lead to big gaps, we would of been better the whole team camping in our half and once we get the ball breaking with it! So glad Klopps fucking off he is a top manager

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.