Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

Penalties, in order. Get it sorted, Pep!!!

Sergio
KDB
Silva
Bernardo
Jesus

If none of them are playing, I doubt we would ever get close enough to goal to get a penalty!

Gundogan is our best penalty taker. He's been excellent on that score on the couple he has taken for us and had the balls to convert in a UCL final for Dortmund. If he is on the pitch, he should be first choice.

Raz's penalty at Watford last season was also excellent.

not convinced with Gabriel............never seen him take a pen......but someone should explain the offside rule to him.
Offside 4 times in the first 15 mins he was on.
Must be offside more than any PL striker.
You do realise he's only 21 and is still learning?
You're not convinced with gabby?
Played 46 times for us and scored 21 goals.
Played 22 times for Brazil and scored 10 goals.
Are you blind or just wumming?
I'm convinced up to the fuckin eyeballs pal.

not convinced with Gabriel............never seen him take a pen......but someone should explain the offside rule to him.
Offside 4 times in the first 15 mins he was on.
Must be offside more than any PL striker.

He has taken 3 for us .... missed 2.

All the stories written before a ball had been kicked describing how Salah returned to form gloriously, how Klopp out thought Pep yet again and how City were blown away by a mighty Liverpool tornado urged on by a packed Kop which unnerved City by screeching 1950s musicals had to be ripped up. The new line was how Pep had been forced to abandon his principles and turn a game against the best attacking team in the world into a goalless snore draw. Pep is even at fault for entrusting a potentially match winning penalty to a serial penalty misser.

Mahrez did miss a penalty, but that's all he did. Pep trusted him and he missed it. He didn't commit high treason, he didn't kill anyone and he didn't throw a brick at a coach. He missed a penalty. And I'm glad to report that City players consoled him, John Stones gave him support in the post match interviews, he did not have to leave the pitch on his own like a leper and I don't believe there has been any nonsense like death threats from demented "fans" - unlike the fate of a certain goalkeeper who offended that cheery bunch of scousers at the other end of the east Lancs road. City are a team and a club, and I'm proud to say they behaved with a dignity and class quite alien to our opponents yesterday.

As for the match yesterday, I thought it was intriguing but quite clearly Pep out thought Klopp. City lined up with a back four in a normal Guardiola 4-3-3 and Klopp expected the normal splitting of the CBs and the advanced full backs. This was naive as the last thing Pep was likely to do was order his troops to throw themselves on Liverpool's sword. All four of our back line showed admirable discipline and Liverpool were shown to be completely devoid of ideas when deprived of space behind the full backs and Mendy, in particular, was careful always to prevent Salah cutting inside onto his left foot. This is why Salah "looked a pale shadow of last season's player". I can't remember Ederson having a save to make in the entire match (and City were able to play out from the back in relative comfort). Part of the reason is that Liverpool's fullbacks didn't push up, as they have tended to stay deeper this season and because City's midfield is better than theirs and will exploit the space either side of their CB's. As the game wore on only one side looked likely to score. The penalty was the clearest opportunity but these things happen.

You do realise he's only 21 and is still learning?
You're not convinced with gabby?
Played 46 times for us and scored 21 goals.
Played 22 times for Brazil and scored 10 goals.
Are you blind or just wumming?
I'm convinced up to the fuckin eyeballs pal.

Can see why people have reservations about him, not convinced up to my eyeballs I know that much. Great player, is offside far too often, his movement and runs are great though so once he gets his timings right it should be frightening.

Penalty miss aside which was absolutely atrocious, I wasn't convinced with Mahrez and thought he was lucky to be staying on over Sterling when Sane came on. Thought his overall game was really poor even if you take that penalty out of the picture. Wasn't a classic but I'd much prefer that kind of performance than a 4-3 thriller defeat. Good result a draw for us there.

Last edited:
I think it was a really good performance overall, and it felt like a significant step forward for this team. We overcame our mental hurdle at Anfield and effectively nullified a very good attacking side. We were the better team. Guardiola got his tactics spot on, and we very nearly took all three points. Anyone can miss a penalty though, it's part of the game.

Plenty of positives in the performances of Laporte, Stones, Bernardo and Fernandinho. We've now played arguably our toughest game of the season, and are top of the league with our best player to return. Can't wait for the international break to be out of the way.

A neat summary.

Far too much fuss about the penalty, not that I didn't hurl a mass of invective in the direction of the TV at the time, embarrassing but cathartic. Moved on quickly though. Plenty more to be happy about than other wise after that performance.

If my maths is accurate, we have now lost just 3 of our last 63 league games; which is quite something.

To be fair pep decided it was important to stop salah and as such putting zinchenko or Laporte would be hanging them out to dry so he put faith in mendy
Who I felt defensively did very well
The irony was Klopp set up with Gomez at full back to stop sane
This affected them more than us
Also when it gets to 60 mins at 0-0 with sane to come on it’s a perfect scenario
Only a Mahrez pen miss prevented execution of the perfect plan

Agree it worked yesterday just think going forward it would be nice to see them play together from the start.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.