Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread

All the stories written before a ball had been kicked describing how Salah returned to form gloriously, how Klopp out thought Pep yet again and how City were blown away by a mighty Liverpool tornado urged on by a packed Kop which unnerved City by screeching 1950s musicals had to be ripped up. The new line was how Pep had been forced to abandon his principles and turn a game against the best attacking team in the world into a goalless snore draw. Pep is even at fault for entrusting a potentially match winning penalty to a serial penalty misser.

Mahrez did miss a penalty, but that's all he did. Pep trusted him and he missed it. He didn't commit high treason, he didn't kill anyone and he didn't throw a brick at a coach. He missed a penalty. And I'm glad to report that City players consoled him, John Stones gave him support in the post match interviews, he did not have to leave the pitch on his own like a leper and I don't believe there has been any nonsense like death threats from demented "fans" - unlike the fate of a certain goalkeeper who offended that cheery bunch of scousers at the other end of the east Lancs road. City are a team and a club, and I'm proud to say they behaved with a dignity and class quite alien to our opponents yesterday.

As for the match yesterday, I thought it was intriguing but quite clearly Pep out thought Klopp. City lined up with a back four in a normal Guardiola 4-3-3 and Klopp expected the normal splitting of the CBs and the advanced full backs. This was naive as the last thing Pep was likely to do was order his troops to throw themselves on Liverpool's sword. All four of our back line showed admirable discipline and Liverpool were shown to be completely devoid of ideas when deprived of space behind the full backs and Mendy, in particular, was careful always to prevent Salah cutting inside onto his left foot. This is why Salah "looked a pale shadow of last season's player". I can't remember Ederson having a save to make in the entire match (and City were able to play out from the back in relative comfort). Part of the reason is that Liverpool's fullbacks didn't push up, as they have tended to stay deeper this season and because City's midfield is better than theirs and will exploit the space either side of their CB's. As the game wore on only one side looked likely to score. The penalty was the clearest opportunity but these things happen.

Beautifully put. Loving the paragraphs ;-)

Liverpool did have two attempts on target, weak Sturridge header and Salah backpass IIRC but more a case of Ederson collecting the ball than saving it.

Some are missing the tactical change that made all the difference yesterday and one which should have won us the game. Slowing the tempo of the game was a masterstroke from Pep, the dippers want to play the game at a hundred mile an hour because it suits their players Salah, Mane and Firiminho. Where as a slower game suits us better against them because we have more technically gifted players in the middle of the park in Fern, and the two Silva’s. When you match up Milner Henderson and Wilnaldum against our 3 there is no competition who was going to come out on top.

As was evident yesterday dippers do like to play balls over the top for the front 3 to run onto. We didn’t allow that yesterday and as we did had to wait patiently for the break and take advantage of that the latter being the case. Overall it was good result but should have been better and hats off to Pep the tactical genius.

All the stories written before a ball had been kicked describing how Salah returned to form gloriously, how Klopp out thought Pep yet again and how City were blown away by a mighty Liverpool tornado urged on by a packed Kop which unnerved City by screeching 1950s musicals had to be ripped up. The new line was how Pep had been forced to abandon his principles and turn a game against the best attacking team in the world into a goalless snore draw. Pep is even at fault for entrusting a potentially match winning penalty to a serial penalty misser.

Mahrez did miss a penalty, but that's all he did. Pep trusted him and he missed it. He didn't commit high treason, he didn't kill anyone and he didn't throw a brick at a coach. He missed a penalty. And I'm glad to report that City players consoled him, John Stones gave him support in the post match interviews, he did not have to leave the pitch on his own like a leper and I don't believe there has been any nonsense like death threats from demented "fans" - unlike the fate of a certain goalkeeper who offended that cheery bunch of scousers at the other end of the east Lancs road. City are a team and a club, and I'm proud to say they behaved with a dignity and class quite alien to our opponents yesterday.

As for the match yesterday, I thought it was intriguing but quite clearly Pep out thought Klopp. City lined up with a back four in a normal Guardiola 4-3-3 and Klopp expected the normal splitting of the CBs and the advanced full backs. This was naive as the last thing Pep was likely to do was order his troops to throw themselves on Liverpool's sword. All four of our back line showed admirable discipline and Liverpool were shown to be completely devoid of ideas when deprived of space behind the full backs and Mendy, in particular, was careful always to prevent Salah cutting inside onto his left foot. This is why Salah "looked a pale shadow of last season's player". I can't remember Ederson having a save to make in the entire match (and City were able to play out from the back in relative comfort). Part of the reason is that Liverpool's fullbacks didn't push up, as they have tended to stay deeper this season and because City's midfield is better than theirs and will exploit the space either side of their CB's. As the game wore on only one side looked likely to score. The penalty was the clearest opportunity but these things happen.

What a great post. Puts some on here to shame. Thank you

In Manchester airport just now, few vermin supporters from overseas bearing their replica kits, guess there would have been more on show if they had won. Wankers make my skin crawl, only a couple of rag shirts so far.

Some are missing the tactical change that made all the difference yesterday and one which should have won us the game. Slowing the tempo of the game was a masterstroke from Pep, the dippers want to play the game at a hundred mile an hour because it suits their players Salah, Mane and Firiminho. Where as a slower game suits us better against them because we have more technically gifted players in the middle of the park in Fern, and the two Silva’s. When you match up Milner Henderson and Wilnaldum against our 3 there is no competition who was going to come out on top.

As was evident yesterday dippers do like to play balls over the top for the front 3 to run onto. We didn’t allow that yesterday and as we did had to wait patiently for the break and take advantage of that the latter being the case. Overall it was good result but should have been better and hats off to Pep the tactical genius.
Absolutely spot on.

I also think as the penalty miss becomes less of a fresh wound so to speak, we'll look at this point at Anfield as a very good point. Now all we have to do is push on from this. Liverpool will have a dip in form, and so will Chelsea.

After years of Balotelli and Yaya, I think we’ve all taken for granted, the importance of clinical penalty precision. Mahrez, took the blame yesterday, but I didn't see many options in a sky blue shirt.
Our recent shootout record has been phenomenal, and it’s the same argument for keeping Bravo as reserve goalkeeper, because so many big games go to penalties.

Aguero, Jesus, and KDB have all missed in recent seasons, and it’s a shame that Gundogan was injured.

Otherwise, I don’t see many players who would fill me with confidence.

I was disappointed after the game as we should of won but now i'm really pleased with the draw,i said before i would take a point
Everyone carried out the plan and props to them for completely shutting down the best front 3 in the world,allegedly

After the first 15 minutes we looked a lot more comfortable and positionally set at Anfield than I can remember us being before. We looked like the home team for most of the game, controlled it and did enough for all 3 points. Was more obvious than normal how much they rely on a long punt up to the front three when their full backs can't get over the half way line. They looked bang average at times.

Would have loved three points but happy to be top, KDB to come back, and two tough aways done and dusted already.

After years of Balotelli and Yaya, I think we’ve all taken for granted, the importance of clinical penalty precision. Mahrez, took the blame yesterday, but I didn't see many options in a sky blue shirt.
Our recent shootout record has been phenomenal, and it’s the same argument for keeping Bravo as reserve goalkeeper, because so many big games go to penalties.

Aguero, Jesus, and KDB have all missed in recent seasons, and it’s a shame that Gundogan was injured.

Otherwise, I don’t see many players who would fill me with confidence.

I didn't see anyone in a sky blue shirt..............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.